Bad breath on the Dukan diet

I ahve been on the Dukan diet for 7 days tomorrow and My bad breath is driving me CRAZY! i chew sugarless gum like crazy, but i can still taste it. Dr. Dukan says it means you're burning fat ie: it's a good thing! but i really HATE it! Anyone have any ideas to get rid of it, other than brushing my teeth & the gum chewing?

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    i dont understand is it like a diet full of eating onions, etc?
    Or is it actually the smell of like burning fat?
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    That's one of the side effects and it can not be helped... along with constipation because you restrict your water as well. But think about it, your body tells you when something is up. When you have a stomach ache it means you ate something bad usually. So when you have constant bad breath it doesn't mean your body is happy.

I always thought people gave up on the Dukan diet, I haven't seen it mentioned in awhile. A lot of doctors gave it flak because it tooks away a lot of calories and deemed unhealthy.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Listen to your body. You are suffering from Ketosis, one of the side effects of the Dukan diet. Watch out for kidney and liver damage according to the Wiki article on this diet: Ketosis: burning body fat instead of carbohydrates for fuel is known as ketosis and whilst it produces the obvious benefits of weight loss it can in some rare cases put some minor strains on the kidneys and liver and in extreme cases cause damage. Milder side effects of ketosis are bad breath, a metallic taste in the mouth and strong urine odour."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukan_Diet