calorie and carb problem

I am having a problem keeping my carbs down while getting more calories. I've been coming in a lot under 1200 calories, sometimes getting only a little over a 1000. The problem is that I usually go over in carbs the higher the calories I have. Any suggestions for upping my calorie intake but not making my carbs go over the daily total? I'm not the biggest cook either, so nothing complicated! LOL

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Nuts have healthy fats and protein in them.

Just don't go overboard.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Just eat less breads, pastas, etc. Eat more protein and vegetables. I limit myself to 120g carbs with a 1200cal diet. Check out my diary if you need ideas.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    I changed my settings to show 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat.... up your protein and cut out the bad carbs.
    I get my carbs from things like quinoa, greek yogurt, whole grains, etc.... I just don't even buy white bread, rice, donuts etc...
    Protein will also make you feel full longer.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I can't see your food log, but take a look at your other nutrients. Are you getting enough protein? If not, consider adding in more lean meats, such as chicken, turkey, or lean beef.

You could also try including a few things that are more calorie-dense. For example, potatoes have like 400 calories per cup as mashed potatoes, whereas a cup of strawberries has something like 30 calories (potatoes also high in carbs, so I wouldn't recommend them, but you should get the idea).

For more help, you can either add me as a friend, or make your food log public, so I or other people can look at your log and help you tweak what you're already eating.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Have you thought about researching micronutrient percentages that fit you? Research protien, fat and carb proportions - MFP's settings aren't right for everyone.
  • Oops, sorry about that. I made my food log public so everyone can see it and give me advice. Thanks for letting me know to change it! And thanks for all of the tips so far!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Oops, sorry about that. I made my food log public so everyone can see it and give me advice. Thanks for letting me know to change it! And thanks for all of the tips so far!

It's still not showing up, are you sure it's set to public?