Training for 5K

Options
I ran my first 5K this past spring. I did no training and still did fairly well, but I'm curious how well I could do if I actually trained for it. I'm NOT a runner, but simply enjoyed getting outside, giving to charity and mingling with people. I'm looking for community support as I begin training for it. Anyone else out there doing one soon?

Shannon

Replies

• rosy_rsls
    rosy_rsls Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Im thinking of soing one during the spring as our winters are too cold!! I would alao love to receive some advice on what and how to do it!! Ive never done one before.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I just read an interesting article in Fitness Magazine this week about Training for Your First 5K. It breaks it down for beginners who might not be in the best shape cardio-wise or you can go with the intermediate/advanced plan which is for regular runners. I'm thinking of doing the beginners plan, since I've been away from the gym for a couple of months. I'm hoping to do a 5K in this fall sometime and it seems like your really only need a month to get prepared. The article is here:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/training-schedules/run-first-5k/

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I'm still getting back on track with eating right. With a wedding and living at college for five weeks, I stress ate and ate food that God knows how it was prepared. My first step in training is getting on a 1600 calorie a day schedule. Probably next week, I'll start in with the cardio that I posted above.

Anyone else enjoy doing 5Ks?

Shannon
  • rmbannan
    Options
    I too am training for a 5K. I started running in May/June and want to run the Turkey Trot in November!!! I want to finish in the top end, so I hope to get faster. I would love encouragement and love to encourage others!!! I have found that I really enjoy running....a friend helped me learn how to breath correctly and now I can run much longer!
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Have any of you ever heard of c25k? it stands for couch to 5k and is designed for those of us who aren't runners. you basically have to be able to walk for 30 minutes and you build up slowly. we actually have a nice little c25k support group going here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/311661-c25k-starting-8-8-open-group-for-encouragement (just copy and paste it into your browser) it's an open group and it doesn't matter when you actually start. feel free to join us! there's also a website that tells you what to do to get started (http://www.c25k.com). itunes has several apps and also free podcasts you can download that tell you when to walk and when to run.

best of luck in your journey and we'd love to see all of you on the forum!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Sounds neat. I'll make a point to check it out soon. I took a month off of my gym membership to go out to grad school, so I won't officially start training until September 1st (I don't want to pay a whole month for just a week long membership). I'm excited to get started!!!

Shannon
  • cheekymonkeyface
    cheekymonkeyface Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a good way to go! I have been toying with it for a few weeks. My gym trainer has me on a programme of one minutes joggine to 2-3 minutes walking as one of my goals is to start running. I tend to do it on a ration of 1:1 though. Have found i am finding it easier to get to the end of a minute now. Guessing i'll have to think of upping the ante...

Through years of being morbidly obese my dream was to run! Think i'm definitely going to have to seriously think of training for the 'Race for Life' next year. Forget walking i wanna run that baby lol xx
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Did my first yesterday and did train. Managed a 9:46 pace; would NOT have done that without real training. I'm on for an 8 mile trail run and another 5K in October.

<-- This picture is after claiming my pilsner glass for being 1st place in my age group...mind you, I was the ONLY one in my age group, so I'm more pleased with finishing 17th out of 33 on my first try. :laugh:

Any burgeoning runners looking for supporters are free to friend me as I continue my own running odyssey.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    scschenk - Kuddos to you! Imagine what you can do if you train! We look forward to more updates from you.

Shannon