Hypothyroidism and pregnancy

Options
Okay, so here's what's going on. My sister, who just turned 30, has always had some problems with her thyroid. Last month, she found out she was pregnant, and two days ago she got her thyroid checked out at the urge of her OB and found out she has hypothyroidism. Of course, she went online and looked it up and FREAKED OUT because it's supposedly the worst kind of thyroid problem to have while pregnant. My mom and I have never had this problem, so we aren't quite sure how to talk about it with her.

So here's my question: Have any of you had hypothyroidism while pregnant? What special things did you have to do? Did everything turn out all right? I'm just trying to get a little bit of personal story kind of information about this whole thing so she has a better handle and can ask the right questions when she goes to the endocrinologist next week.

Thanks for your help! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here's what's going on. My sister, who just turned 30, has always had some problems with her thyroid. Last month, she found out she was pregnant, and two days ago she got her thyroid checked out at the urge of her OB and found out she has hypothyroidism. Of course, she went online and looked it up and FREAKED OUT because it's supposedly the worst kind of thyroid problem to have while pregnant. My mom and I have never had this problem, so we aren't quite sure how to talk about it with her.

So here's my question: Have any of you had hypothyroidism while pregnant? What special things did you have to do? Did everything turn out all right? I'm just trying to get a little bit of personal story kind of information about this whole thing so she has a better handle and can ask the right questions when she goes to the endocrinologist next week.

Thanks for your help! :flowerforyou:
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my thyroid checked until I was having problems after my children were born however after talking to my doctor she was pretty sure that I had it while I was pregnant. I personally didn't have any problems. I just had BIG babies. My son was 10lbs and my daughter was 9lbs 6oz. As long as she is on meds and keeps an eye on it she should be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I have gone through one pregnancy and am pregnant again now. I started out with hyperthyroidism when I was a teenager. Then it swung the other way when my thyroid died off. I take a Synthroid pill everyday and it's no big deal. Most doctor's frequently test during pregnancy because the levels can fluctuate. Your sister has no reason to be afraid...at least I don't think so. If she has a good doctor then it shouldn't be too horrible. They'll probably put her on Synthroid, or something like it, and test her every month or three for awhile. It's not that bad. I've been this way for 12 years. You adjust.
    Hope this helps! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Tell her not to believe every thing she reads on the Internet. Tell her congrats on her pregnancy! And not to stress!
    MM
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll let her know that it probably won't be as big of a deal as she thinks it will be. This is her first pregnancy, and you know how that can be!!! Everything seems like a humongous deal, even if it really isn't. And she's pretty high-strung normally, so everything is triple or quadruple what it would be. I'll tell her about you guys and how you have beautiful healthy babies and you're all doing fine. Thanks again!