daily protein allowance

Options
Does anyone know where they get the numbers that are generated for our goals like the protein and carbs, etc.? Just curious if there is any theories or diet concept at work. I am at 45 grams per day of protein which doesn't seem like much, and I am going over some, but getting better.

Replies

• pfox
    pfox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where they get the numbers that are generated for our goals like the protein and carbs, etc.? Just curious if there is any theories or diet concept at work. I am at 45 grams per day of protein which doesn't seem like much, and I am going over some, but getting better.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I think they use the basic formula for carb, protien and fat ratio. If you exercise alot you can safely go up a lot higher than that for lean protien.
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't know, and I've been curious, too. I can stay within my calories, carbs, and fats pretty easily, but I'm usually over on the protein and sugar. Not sure what that's about.
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    In the P90 X exercise program, they recommend 3 phases for nutritional guidelines.
    Phase 1 = Fat Shredder - strenghten muscle and shed excess body fat.
    50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat.

Phase 2 = Energy Booster - maintain phase 1 changes with additional energy for midstream performance.
    40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat.

Phase 3 = Endurance Maximizer - support peak physical performance and sitisfaction over the long term.
    20% protein, 60% carbs, 20% fat.

Let me know if you need more info such as amount of servings of each per day........

Hope this helps.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    In the P90 X exercise program, they recommend 3 phases for nutritional guidelines.
    Phase 1 = Fat Shredder - strenghten muscle and shed excess body fat.
    50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat.

Phase 2 = Energy Booster - maintain phase 1 changes with additional energy for midstream performance.
    40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat.

Phase 3 = Endurance Maximizer - support peak physical performance and sitisfaction over the long term.
    20% protein, 60% carbs, 20% fat.

Let me know if you need more info such as amount of servings of each per day........

Hope this helps.

How long do they recommend staying in each phase? And the final goal is only 20% protein and loading up on the carbs? What are the theories behind that? Just curious....
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    4 weeks on each phase. Phase 3 is an endurance maximizer. It's designed for athletics who are pushing their bodies to the limit. (part of the P90X program). They say many people hesitate to move to this phase because of the heavy carbs for fear that they'll gain weight. They found that once they do, they had more energy, worked out harder, and had better results.

Phase 2 is an energy booster. It is a well-rounded, long-term, senible eating plan. This plan can also be used as long as you like if you're feeling great, have plenty of energy, and it seems like you are making overall progress.

Phase 1 is a fat shredder. This is for people who have more body fat than someone who is very fit and doesn't have a lot of excess body fat to lose. Phase 1 should only be extended if you need to drop more fat and also feel like you have ample energy to push hard during your workouts. This phase could be shortened by a week or two if your body fat is already low and you feel like you don't have the necessary energy to get the most out of your workouts.

(I am quoting this from their Nutritional Handbook)

Today I crashed about 2 hours after workout - had to go home and eat! I need to switch to Phase 2...
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I looked up the USDA amounts, and here's what they had to say:

Sodium less than 2,400 grams
    Fat 65 grams
    Cholesterol 300 grams
    Carbs 300 grams
    Fiber 25 grams
    Protein 50 grams
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I find I do better with a higher protein/fat to carb ratio.

I really think you have to play with it a bit to see what works for you.

If I have a lot of carbs and too little protein, I am sluggish and tired. My friend needs more carbs because she is a runner.

I think the 2 biggies are the FAT and what type of fat your are eating and the CALORIES.

good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I think if you are going to be over on anything, protein would be preferred. I dont go over in calories, but a little bit over carbs and protein, sometimes fat. I dont worry about it too much though.
  • pfox
    pfox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. My hubby wants to get the p90X program so we can start the diets now. We are currently doing the P90 program and intend to move up to the p90X when we finish the first round. He thinks the diet would be good to get going with now and with what you wrote it makes a lot of sense.