Indulge yourself

Options
One of my friends in here is having a few problems with motivation.

I was reading her interesting and entertaining blog and it got me to thinking (always a dangerous activity in my case).
It seems to me that most of us are in our current predicament because we've indulged ourselves a little too much. Now, don't get me wrong ... I think we all deserve a little indulgence.

NO! Let me try that again ...
WE DESERVE HEAPS OF INDULGENCE!
Anyone disagree?

So, here's my theory developed over the past ... what would it be now? ... 15 minutes or so:
Given that our weakness is indulging ourselves, and given that we've decided (see para 2) that we deserve to be indulged, we simply need to reorientate the sauce ... er'm source ... of our indulgences ... be more selective in our choices.

Here's my plan ... and you can get in on the ground floor. During those desperate times, when all you want is to camp out by the refrigerator, how could you indulge yourself in a way that would relegate food to the dustbin of your mind.

Can we build a taxonomy of indulgence?

Who'll get the ball rolling?

Replies

• AlizabethBarker85
    Options
    I recently read some articles on Leptin. They are kind of intresting! Good luck! :)
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Does it have to be something at home? My favorite indulgence when I've really been craving something but made the right choice is a deluxe pedicure! The kind with calf massage & all the whistles!
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    Haha... at one point I had a whole system for doing this but unfortunately it was not healthy.

Today I will indulge myself in ways that ultimately I find more satisfying - like getting a professional massage, giving myself a facial, doing my nails; basically I do something for me that makes me feel special and usually something that other people are likely to notice or considered indulgent in the first place. This works for me because if I have a pretty manicure or glowing skin, someone might compliment me - which will remind me later that I am special/worthy/whatever I wasn't feeling at that moment. Ultimately these things are just a longer pay off for me so it works.

Then I also indulge myself in good, healthy food. So the food I do keep in the house is usually organic and the highest quality I can afford. I buy less food but better food - so when I do eat I can have a great meal and really enjoy it. It becomes an actual indulgence not necessarily like a drug or just something I use to feel better.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Tonight it was a hot bath!
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options
    Taxonomy of indulgences (nil by mouth)

1. Facial
    2. Manicure
    3. Pedicure
    4. Dulux massage (or maybe it was deluxe)
    5. Calf massage (mooooo! hold the cream)

Now, for the ladies ...

6. A long hot bath
    7. One very special (high quality) meal
    8. Leptin (I don't know either ... an Irish mining company?)

And, not to forget ...

9. A lazy morning of coffee and chat with a supportive friend
    10. A long slow afternoon of love

Right now, I'm not thinking of food.
    Any more ideas?