Those with large families

Options
Can you share your grocery list, and about how much you spend?

I only shop for DH and I (and 3 cats) and I spend nealy $200 a week. Thats just crazy! For now we can kind of afford it, not really, lol, but when we have kids, how will I manage? Help please!

Replies

• jenninsocal
    Options
    Can you share your grocery list, and about how much you spend?

I only shop for DH and I (and 3 cats) and I spend nealy $200 a week. Thats just crazy! For now we can kind of afford it, not really, lol, but when we have kids, how will I manage? Help please!
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    We are a family of six, and I am very unorganized with our grocery list. It could be cheaper if we weren't so picky about brands and if there were ever enough time to chip and organize coupons. We eat a dozen or so eggs and a gallon of milk a day. Our kitchen is tiny, so we hit the grocery store 5-7 times a week totaling out at around 500-600 for the week. CRAZY!!!! Seriously I told my oldest she was about to have to eat cafeteria food for lunch. Just that switch alone would save us over $60 a month. My kids are all under 6 right now and never seem to stop eating. Imagine how much it is going to cost to feed them as teenagers!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    My parents have always had at least 4 children at home since as long as I can remember (they still have four at home).

I think mom allots 50-70$ per person per week, but she has never been really frugal. My sister's family of four gets by on 35$ per person per week. Hope that helps.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My sister's family of four gets by on 35$ per person per week. Hope that helps.

We don't have a large family, but this is about what we spend per person, per week. We aim for $25 per person/per week and generally end up around $30. DS gets up to $45 a week because his food is the most expensive. :bigsmile:

I make big, bulk meals - like spagetti/meat sauce, stews/soups, lots of baked chicken - and we also do a lot of shopping at trader joe's, which is surprisingly cheap for how long the food feeds you.

I hope this helps. :smile:
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    We are a family of five and a dog. We shop at Sam's club for alot. We buy paper products toliet paper paper towels cleaning products and dog food, pull ups, chicken breasts, sometimes fruit if the farmers market is closed. The farmers market saves us money on fruit and veggies in the summer and fall we eat a lot of produce in my house. Also I do look at ads and sometimes go to two or more places annoying but worth it.When you get there you will see its the only option.

Alisha
  • RhiaMacK
    Options
    i have a huge family i have 1 sister 2 dads 2 moms and 6 brothers and i just have to say it is very expensive and another thing is i weight 160 pounds and I'm only 12 years old please tell me how you guys are losing so much weight and are looking fabulous iv lost all my self esteem and feel so bad when i go to school I:m only in the 7 th grade and i cry when i get home because people pick on me and it hurts a lot.!

Chubby, hippo hips, Godzilla, fat *kitten* etc...
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I really suggest joining Sam's or Costco and buy in bulk for certain items (splenda, oatmeal, meats, eggs, snacks etc)

Having a mean plan for the week really helps but is not always practical and for me is really hard to stick to...so I have a general idea of what goes well together and I buy accordingly.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I really suggest joining Sam's or Costco and buy in bulk for certain items (splenda, oatmeal, meats, eggs, snacks etc)

Having a mean plan for the week really helps but is not always practical and for me is really hard to stick to...so I have a general idea of what goes well together and I buy accordingly.

I agree, we hit ther grocery 10/10 deals, sams and walmart with coupon sales. I save on almost every trip, twice a month, at leat 45 to 50 dollars with the savings nad the buy one get ones and the coupons.....

I look online as well for the actual store web pages for any rebates, special coupons and some times they will have a gift card you can buy and get a free gift card.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I occasionally use a couple coupons, but not many!