Allotting your nutrition

Options
Hey all:

I am trying to take the high road, so I would like to know how you "losers" split your nutrition up between the calories. I mean, it's not too tough to stay inside of my calorie allowance, but I would like to start making healthful choices beyond the calories that are in any given portion.

Any websites or easy formulas I should be following? The food pyramid we learned way back when is outdated, I know.

help.

Replies

• pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hey all:

I am trying to take the high road, so I would like to know how you "losers" split your nutrition up between the calories. I mean, it's not too tough to stay inside of my calorie allowance, but I would like to start making healthful choices beyond the calories that are in any given portion.

Any websites or easy formulas I should be following? The food pyramid we learned way back when is outdated, I know.

help.
  • YogaBooty
    Options
    right now I aim for

breakfast - 300
    snack- 100
    lunch-200
    snack-200
    dinner- 300
    dessert- <200

It all depends on how many calories you're taking in, but I would aim to have the most calories at breakfast and dinner. For me, if I go over my dinner calories, I tend to have a smaller or no dessert. Hope this helps!
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I log my meals the night before. So I put my breakfast in first since I have one of two different breakfasts that I eat everyday. Then I log what I'm going to fix or have for dinner as that will be my biggest meal of the day. Then I see how many calories I have left for lunch and an after dinner snack and try to split the difference.

I didn't start out changing the food that I ate, but somewhere along the way I started making healthier choices on what I ate so that I could eat more if I wanted to. It's seems to be working right now so I'm not going to mess with it.

Good luck with your new journey!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb is (I'm alotted 1200 calories a day w/0 exercise):

300 for Breakfast
    100 for Snack
    300 for Lunch
    100 for Snack
    300 for Dinner
    100 for Desert

more if I exercise :bigsmile:
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    You know I don't really pay attention to it, lol. I know my breakfast, lunch, and dinner are generally around 300 each, and my snacks a bit less.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to the macronutrients--protein, carbs, and fat?

Mine have changed with my training. When I was doing more lifting and less running, I ate 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. Now that I am running regularly, I have increased my carbohydrates to 50% and decreased protein and fat to 25% each. There are soooo many different ways to split up macros, and it's best to choose what works for your personal activities.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I should have made myself more understandable. I was hoping to find out how you split your nutrition (ie protein, veggies, grain, fruit, milk-products, fat, and whatever other categories might be relevant to your particular eating schedules) because I would like to start being more selecting about what calories I am eating... more so than how many.

Thank you, songbyrdsweet, for understanding my convoluted question.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I mix them up at each meal and snack.

breakfast:
    whole grain lite english muffin
    1/2 oz american cheese
    1/2 oz ham
    1 egg

sliced apples.

Snack:
    5 strawberries
    mozzerella stick

Lunch:

1 can albacore tuna
    1 tsp low fat miracle whip
    1 stalk celery
    1 slice onion, chopped
    1 romaine lettuce leaf
    1 slice tomato

Either 2 slices of Pepperidge Farms Litestyle Oatmeal Bread (45cals)
    or
    6 Lite sea salt Triscuits

25 blueberries

Is this what you were seeking? Kinda an idea of how to get protein, complex carbs, veggies and fruits in your daily diet. I can tell you this is NOT what my diary looked like 6 months ago!

You can have your daily value of veggies in 1 salad. Just use green leafy romaine or such and add pepper strips, tomato, carrots, broccoli, cukes, onion
    then top with 4 oz grilled chicken breast.
    Dont have to think about veggies the rest of the day!!

Your doing so well, keep up the good work!:flowerforyou: