Really tired, but can't sleep

Options
I was just wondering if diet and exercise improvements can ever make you sleep less? I am really exhausted all the time, but can't sleep through the night. I have always considered sleep a special talent. My record was 14 hours non-stop, but now I seem to wake up after 4-5 hours yawning and tired and unable to go back to sleep. I now consistently have dark circles under my eyes, but still can't get back to sleep once I wake up! I'm going to get melatonin today, I was just wondering if anyone else found it harder to sleep after restricting calorie intake and increasing output?

Thanks,
Alyssa

Replies

• purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that if I don't eat enough before bed, then I will not sleep well. This makes weight loss a challenge! It's sometimes a vicious cycle for me having a poor night's sleep and then not being able to plan the food carefully and exercise too the next day. Dark circles here too! I'll be watching this thread intently. :ohwell:
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Melatonin is a wonderful and natural sleep aide....I take 3 mg every night....I find that if I exercise too late in the day, then I have difficulty sleeping....Good luck, I hope the melatonin works for you.... :flowerforyou:
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    try zinc and magnesium tablets(zma), they help the body relax, if you are training hard make sure you are getting plenty of water,
    only 3% dehydration can effect rest
  • tails86
    tails86 Posts: 17
    Options
    I think I have an easier time falling asleep when I have a satisfied stomach for some reason. I'm finding it a little harder to fall asleep now, but I'm able to sleep through the night.
  • barnseyo
    Options
    i'm a shift worker (3 shifts days later and nights) and getting into a routine or pattern is just about impossible. I average about 4-5 hours a day/night including weekends. I agree with Award30 that sleep is a talent and preparation and routine is the key. the trouble is finding the magic formulae! The first thing I find and I know its not easy, is to stop worrying about not sleeping as this contributes to the vicious cycle. Good luck anyway.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    This is the worst bout I've had an my stomach was unusually full, so if anything I think I sleep better on a slightly emptier stomach. In fact, I went slightly over my 1200 net today, which I don't normally do, so I was wondering if wakin up was my body's demented way of trying to burn off the "extra" energy.

Dehydration seems possible too, I have a hard time drinking more than 8 or 9 glasses which is probably not enough when I work out 2 hours/day and sweat a lot.

Thanks for the advice!
  • LittleGoatie
    LittleGoatie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just want to throw it out there that I have been having a similar problem, but I feel like I hydrate really well. If you have any miracle revelations can you mention them on your post? I've been doing well in improving my fitness, but ever since I started changing my lifestyle I am weary down into my bones. I thought with time my energy would increase, but it has been 5 months and I am still so tired. I did not have this problem before, and I am very careful to eat enough calories. I also take vitamins every day. Anyway, if you don't mind following up about your experience, I would very much appreciate it.
  • nessajk
    nessajk Posts: 32
    Options
    I noticed once that while on a very low-carb eating plan that my sleep troubles significantly increased, and other people on the plan reported the same. Are you getting some whole grains in?
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    Any updates on this? Did you sleep any better/adjust after a while? I'm having the same problems...
  • xunsungxherox
    Options
    its probably due to the hormones that your body releases after exercise that make you feel good and full of life. Try to avoid working out late at night and hopefully that should bring positive results.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    So, I started taking a sleep aid, after I went to the doctor and she gave me the canned response of "you are probably depressed" I responded "I fit into my old clothes and exercise is a treatment for depression, so can we do blood work?" the tests came back normal, which is good, but I just started takin the sleep aid from Tylenol pm. Diphenylwhosit hcl, I can't remember what the full name is. A few nights of that reset me and I have been sleepin fine unassisted since! Thank goodness!
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    So, I started taking a sleep aid, after I went to the doctor and she gave me the canned response of "you are probably depressed" I responded "I fit into my old clothes and exercise is a treatment for depression, so can we do blood work?" the tests came back normal, which is good, but I just started takin the sleep aid from Tylenol pm. Diphenylwhosit hcl, I can't remember what the full name is. A few nights of that reset me and I have been sleepin fine unassisted since! Thank goodness!

Wow, glad that worked. I'll definitely check it out, thanks!