I've stopped smoking and gained 9lbs - Help!! Before I reach

Options
Hi everyone, I am a newbie, I gave up smoking a couple of months ago after smoking since i was a teenager, I am really proud of this, however in this time I have gained 9lbs, I know this is not a massive amount (it is to me!) but I am struggling hard trying to shift it, I have never had a problem with weight in the past, but since turning 40 I have discovered I have an underactive thyroid, this is under control with medication so can not be used as an excuse.... I'm not one for the gym but am on the go all of the time, i am very active, gardening, dog walking, when I'm not at work I hardly sit down. Not being able to shift this weight is really getting me down, I've even contemplated having a cigarette... which I know is not the answer, and I'd kick myself if I gave in. Motivation needed!! Help - anyone have any advice, tips etc I would love to hear from you!

Replies

• MintyStarshine
    Options
    Nicotine causes your heartrate to increase, thus increasing your metabolism. It's the same thing as caffeine pills that pose as weight-loss pills, only with a different chemical substance.

Just add in a little more exercise if the weight gain bothers you. Everything should even out over time as your body adjusts to the lack of nicotine's stimulus and you should start losing again.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I just quit 20 days ago. I also smoked since I was a teenager. So far I've gained back 3-4 lb (depending on the day) since I quit. I've been told by others that once your body adjusts to no longer having nicotine, the weight will come off. I'm hoping and praying.
  • carolrayes
    carolrayes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on stopping smoking! I gave up 6 years ago and also gained weight (like I'm talking major - more than 9 lbs more like 18 lbs over time!) Please, please don't even contemplate going back to that horrible stuff!! Use this site is all I can say! You may be picking up food in 'bits and pieces' and not really be accounting for it. If you use the site properly you will lose the weight. Be honest in your food diaries and log all your exercise and you will succeed! Good luck :smile:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I quit after 20 odd years about a year ago now.

I have noticed a certain kind of sleepiness or fatigue but am told it's from moving to a high altitude recently. I don't seem to want to get out of bed in the morning but it is improving.

Other than that I whacked on ten kilos in that first year. My bathroom scales had died of old age (NO I DID NOT SQUASH THEM TO DEATH!) and I didn't notice things moving.

I actually smoked honeyrose herbal cigarettes to quit, and have found it fantastic for cravings, in that it took away the magic thrill from cigarettes and yet allowed me to smoke whenever I needed to for an emotional crutch. as time went by I sort of forgot to have a cigarette. I am still 'allowed' a herbal cigarette whenever I want one, that's part of my deal to myself.

Other than that, all I can suggest is tic-tacs - one every time you get a twinge. Lots of little calorie free snacks to help you out till it all dies away.

tic tacs, curiously strong peppermints, diet toffees.
  • dsmithy111
    Options
    Good for you for giving up smoking!!! I did the same 2 months ago and that's exactly why I'm here. One of the amazing side effects of giving up the cancer sticks is the boost of energy you get (nicotine causes lethargy). Try harnessing that energy into a bit of extra exercise. It will get your metabolism back up and will help you shed the extra pounds. It's totally normal to gain a bit of weight when you quit. You're taking control though, so you'll get rid of it soon enough. Feel free to add me as a fellow non-smoking friend if you want!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Well done OP (and everyone else) who has managed to kick the filthy habit.

I had my last cigarette on 8th May 2011 and can honestly say I have not looked back. Stopping was the best thing I ever did and I am incredibly proud of myself. I had smoked for half my life and it is liberating to no longer smoke!!

I have been very lucky as I have not gained but it has slowed my weightloss down mammothly.

Do you know what though? I am so much happier and healthier as a non smoked that I can live with no loss in 3 months!!

Now you here you can begin to log your food and really examine what you eat and when you eat it. You can begin to make healthier choices.

It wont happen overnight but it can be done!

You will soon a be a healthy, happy, fit and fantstic looking non smoker!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    PS - It is an figure I hear bandied around a lot but the "average" person gains 10lbs when they give up smoking OP so your gain is totally normal!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    BTW, when I quit my appetite went through the roof. I'm trying to control it by eating baby carrots. It's really helping and makes me feel very full. Although I occasionally feel as if I'm stuffed with carrots.