A question for the Women

Options
My wife is trying to lose a few pounds....I have nothing to do with this, I think she is perfect the way she is. She weighs 130 LBS. and wants to lose 5 pounds. MFP says her net calorie intake should be 1,200. Is this right? She is really struggling to stay below her calories. Any suggestions?

Replies

• titans6us
    Options
    My wife is trying to lose a few pounds....I have nothing to do with this, I think she is perfect the way she is. She weighs 130 LBS. and wants to lose 5 pounds. MFP says her net calorie intake should be 1,200. Is this right? She is really struggling to stay below her calories. Any suggestions?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Well, a couple things need to be addressed - MFP takes your activity level/age/height and weight into account when it is alloting your calories, so if she is looking to loose 2 pounds a week, thats spot on (as much as anyone can guess who isn't a doctor).

If she only wants to loose five pounds, it would be easy enough to drop her expected loss down to 1 pound a week, letting her have more calories.

If she is still having trouble staying under her calories, exercise! The more you exercise, the more calories you burn, the more you can consume in a day. Also, for someone who is already tiny (like your wife) exercise builds muscles and will probably trim away whatever it is she is unhappy with. Good luck to her. :flowerforyou:
  • melissa91971
    Options
    Well, a couple things need to be addressed - MFP takes your activity level/age/height and weight into account when it is alloting your calories, so if she is looking to loose 2 pounds a week, thats spot on (as much as anyone can guess who isn't a doctor).

If she only wants to loose five pounds, it would be easy enough to drop her expected loss down to 1 pound a week, letting her have more calories.

If she is still having trouble staying under her calories, exercise! The more you exercise, the more calories you burn, the more you can consume in a day. Also, for someone who is already tiny (like your wife) exercise builds muscles and will probably trim away whatever it is she is unhappy with. Good luck to her. :flowerforyou:

ditto!:smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    depending on her height of course, but generally 130 lbs would be well within the healthy range. That means dropping even 5 lbs will take a LONG time. That doesn't mean it's not possible, it will just take a lot of work. I would suggest actually lowering it to 1/2 lb loss per week. She'll be alloted more calories, and it is much more likely that she will lose weight this way. 1200 cals is a default setting for the website, it is far to low for many people. Also keep in mind if she is exercising, she gets to eat those calories back. so if she gets 1400 calories a day, and burns 300 through exercise, she actually gets to eat 1700 calories a day. Good luck! :flowerforyou: