Sick

Options
Hi there what do you eat when you are sick with Gastro ???? Woke up with it this morning and just can't stomach food !!!! :sad:

Replies

• helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything as you won't be able to keep it down.

Take some Coke (not diet Coke) and dilute it 1:1 with water. Sip it through the day. You tend to get dehydrated if you're throwing up and that is a perfect rehydration fluid. Tastes a bit odd, but you'll get used to it, and it has half the calories of normal coke!

After a day or two try introducing dry foods like biscuits and toast - but not too much - and see if you can stomach it. Gradually build up to being able to eat normally again.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    there are two breeds of human I know of:

1. those who can only sip water without throwing up;
    2. those who can only sip bought lemonade without throwing up.

warm flat lemonade is what I take. No food. Just lemonade.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Diluted 100% apple juice (1/3 juice with 2/3 water) does the trick for me. Just keep sipping throughout the day to keep your fluids up. Also, the apple helps alleviate the need to continuously throw up for some reason.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    7up works for me and dry toast. no spread. but only if you can eat it.

you need to keep your fluids up because youll be dehydrated and will only make yourself feel worse.

dry plain food only x
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The best thing to take is water with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Helps keep your electrolytes balaced. You can buy stuff in the chemist like Dioralyte, but essentially it's sugar, salt and water. G'luck.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Normally only clear liquids will stay down.

Hope you feel better!
  • newmommynewfitme
    Options
    Unflavored pedialyte is great for dehydration, keeping all your electrolytes in balance. As for foods, BRAT diet~ bananas , rice, applesauce and dry toast. Drink other clear liquids.
  • gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options
    Lucozade is the only thing that helped me. Restores electrolytes etc. And keeps you hydrated. Just wait it out and keep hydrating.
  • greyhorse
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.............i didn't eat anything at all Tuesday and kept up my fluids as much as i could. The only good thing was i lost another 1.3kgs.........but i know i will put it back on. :smile: :smile: