Should I take a day off exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    OFF DAYS ARE CRITICAL if you want to get fit. If you go into an overtrained state you will slow you progress way down.

Symptoms of being overtrained are fatigue, and a heightened resting heart rate.

You also build muscle when resting not when working out so you have to give your muscles a chance to recover from your workouts.

I usually take 1-3 days off per week depending on how hard I am training. A day off is sometimes a lazy day, but more often it is an easy workout called active recovery. I will do yoga, go for a walk, play golf, take an easy bike ride with the dogs ...
    Active Recovery works because it helps to loosen / stretch your tired sore muscles with out pushing them very hard.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    OFF DAYS ARE CRITICAL if you want to get fit. If you go into an overtrained state you will slow you progress way down.

Symptoms of being overtrained are fatigue, and a heightened resting heart rate.

You also build muscle when resting not when working out so you have to give your muscles a chance to recover from your workouts.

I usually take 1-3 days off per week depending on how hard I am training. A day off is sometimes a lazy day, but more often it is an easy workout called active recovery. I will do yoga, go for a walk, play golf, take an easy bike ride with the dogs ...
    Active Recovery works because it helps to loosen / stretch your tired sore muscles with out pushing them very hard.
    ^Totally agree with this advice :smile:
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    NO! there is no days off!! i lift weights 6 days a week(and run 15min) and on sunday i go for a long run...

EuroDriver, why do you lift weights 6 days a week? You are overworking yourself and your muscles.