Emotional eating and yucky circumstances....

Options
Hi all!

Warning: contains venting :grumble:

For the past week I have been in an EXTREME emotional eating stage. I have been so anxious and stressed lately and don't have many outlets for it, so i've turned to my old enemy/friend...food. I'm getting laid off this month, I have finals to take that i'm not sure if I can pass, I have to figure out how to pay for school that I can't afford, my car just broke yesterday, my Dad is probably getting laid off too, and my boyfriend is having that over his head too. He's also having a ton of stress and work problems too. I promise I'm not whining, I know I can make it through this even though it looks glum. I just need to stay away from the food, especially chocolate :embarassed: . Does anybody have a mantra or a technique to stop the binge? Please, suggestions always welcome lol :flowerforyou:

Replies

• greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Hi all!

Warning: contains venting :grumble:

For the past week I have been in an EXTREME emotional eating stage. I have been so anxious and stressed lately and don't have many outlets for it, so i've turned to my old enemy/friend...food. I'm getting laid off this month, I have finals to take that i'm not sure if I can pass, I have to figure out how to pay for school that I can't afford, my car just broke yesterday, my Dad is probably getting laid off too, and my boyfriend is having that over his head too. He's also having a ton of stress and work problems too. I promise I'm not whining, I know I can make it through this even though it looks glum. I just need to stay away from the food, especially chocolate :embarassed: . Does anybody have a mantra or a technique to stop the binge? Please, suggestions always welcome lol :flowerforyou:
  • nicolet04
    Options
    im sorry, i know how u feel!!! my hubby is getting laid off in the next couple of weeks also!! times just suck right now for everybody...i think!!! try rewarding urself at the end of each day, if you do good that day.!..maybe a half cup of sugar free icecream or sugar free pudding!!! it sure helps me to stay on track cause i know that i will get a treat at the end of the day rather then waiting for a cheat day once a week/month...which always feels like forever .....and impossible to wait that long for something good!!! plus whenever i had a cheat day i would eat soooo bad and it was that much harder to start again the next day! well good luck with everything!!! hope this helps a little!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I will usually let myself have something small, like pudding or some chocolate milk. If I'm feeling like I might go to excess, I just think of how crummy I'll feel afterward rather than how good something might taste in that moment. I also like to just sit in the quite and close my eyes and breathe deeply. It's much more calming. I know things are rough, it seems like everything happens at once. But in a matter of days you'll be looking back saying, "Wow, I'm awesome for getting through all that." :flowerforyou:
  • verifire
    Options
    Wow. That's so tough. I'm sorry.

I try (sometimes successfully) to do things for myself that don't involve eating, but are also treats. I am in law school, and we're in exams, but once in a while I tell the books they can wait and I curl up in bed and watch a movie. Or take a super long shower. Or buy a $1 nail polish in a fun color and spend an hour on the phone with an old friend, painting my nails. All these things comfort your body, like eating does, and so they can replace it sometimes.

This is going to sound crazy, and it might not work for you, but volunteering seriously takes your mind off food in a way that no other self-oriented thing can. I don't mean volunteering full time or even a lot, but even one thing a week where you are forced to focus on other people and their problems and successes gets you out of your own head. My mind was never off food the way it was when I was a high school teacher in a poor area, running different clubs and tutoring the struggling students on my own time. Again, you get validation and feel good about yourself in a way that doesn't come from food.
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Thank you everyvbody for the good ideas! I think that I will try and give myself set little rewards that I can look forward to istead of a whole bunch of emotional eating lol thank you for the kind words also, I'm strong and I know I can get through all this, it's just tough when everything comes all at the same time. Thank you again!