I need SO much HELP

Options
I want to start healthier eatting Monday...but I'm so clueless on where to start...what foods are good...when to eat....when to not eat....how much to eat....its almost HOPELESS

Replies

• GettingThin08
    Options
    I want to start healthier eatting Monday...but I'm so clueless on where to start...what foods are good...when to eat....when to not eat....how much to eat....its almost HOPELESS
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Hm...perhaps taking a few steps at time won't make it seem so overwhelming? Figure out how much water your body needs (1/2 your body weight in oz. is what many folks figure) and set a goal of how much you'd like to get down on Monday...if you're a regular water drinker....you might be successful in getting your water goal in. If you're newer to getting all your water in, set small goals Monday and then when you make them you'll feel great about your accomplishments!:drinker:

Food? Well, take a look at what MFP has set up for you...a number of us eat 5-6 mini meals a day...you can also set it up exactly like that on the tools on MFP...just label them and depending on what your daily calorie allotment is...figure out that many cals per mini meal.

Ok, so that takes care of the amount of food per mini meal, the water goal, I try hard to always get in carbs/protein at each mini meal. Carbs serve as energy for our bodies, proteins (most) contains some fats to keep us content and satisfied until next meal time.

Well regarding foods....for myself I try to eat as close to nature as possible, meaning try and keep away from the processed foods when at all possible. Enjoy fruits, veggies, low fat proteins, whole grain breads, things along that line.

Some of the above help you get a better feel for Monday now? I know it can be So overwhelming when you want to jump right in and get started eating clean...but it does take time to make it a habit...but it's sooooo worth it!! I promise if you keep at it....the weight does drop!!:drinker: :happy:

Pre-planning meals is incredibly helpful as well!
  • verifire
    Options
    I agree: little steps. Start with simple, broad rules that don't cause you to alter things too much, like "I will not drink my calories" leading to a ban on soda, juice, and any other drink but water. Or "I won't eat something if it's fried; I'll get the grilled or broiled option." These steps are small, but they build the kind of habits you need to make bigger changes.

If you end up frustrated that you are eating over your goal calories, use the "reports tab" to get a "nutrition" report. As long as your calories are on a general downward trend, you are making progress. Healthy weight loss is slower than we might like, but that's why IT STAYS OFF. So stick with the teeny tiny steps that seem almost TOO easy. They will have great payoff.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day, and 2-3 snacks a day, but there are people that eat 6 or so small meals a day and that works well for them. It's important for you to target the times of day you are hungry. I getreally hungry in the early evening but not so much in the morning. Everyone is different. If terms of WHAT to eat, we all know what we should eat, it just isn't always what we want to eat. The next time you are grocery shopping try shopping only in the perimeter of the store. Hit the produce section firt and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies. Then the meats, pick up fish, poultry, pork and red meats that you are fond of. Next hit up the bakery section, pick out whole grain products like bread, torrtillas or bagels. Finally, dairy, choose milk, yogurt, and cheeses that you like. Of course there are things you'll need from the centre aisles, like olive oil, rice or spices, but if you try to shop mostly this way, you'll definitely see an improvement in your diet. :flowerforyou: good luck!
  • GettingThin08
    Options
    Thank yall so much....Monday I'm gonna try just small steps...I just wanna lose 50 lbs by Jan of next year!!!!!!! So bascially this time next year I wanna be happy....I think I'm just gonna set little goals each week to do...that way its not a diet but a change of way!!!! Thank yall so much!
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    I was told every 4 hours I just log my food and go from there. I pre-plan my dinners and stuff so I enter that stuff in and see where I sit for calories. If I start getting close to my daily intake then I rethink my meals and choices. If I didn't use that food chart they have here I would over eat. It really puts what I eat into perspective things like a PB&J and hot ham and cheese you think are safe but when you see the numbers it's unreal.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Thank yall so much....Monday I'm gonna try just small steps...I just wanna lose 50 lbs by Jan of next year!!!!!!! So bascially this time next year I wanna be happy....I think I'm just gonna set little goals each week to do...that way its not a diet but a change of way!!!! Thank yall so much!
    Hey GT08....How'd your Monday go? Remember no perfection (it simply doesn't exist!)....but baby steps get us to our goal!:flowerforyou:

I was thinking about you today:drinker: