Does anyone has have a "No liquid calories" rule?

Options

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    The only calories I drink are beer! :drinker: Only about once a month or so though.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I started logging calories that I realised how many calories were in these drinks. Now I am a water, black coffee, green tea kinda gal with the odd glass of Coke Zero. If I am having a night out with friends I will always offer to be the driver or if I drink alcohol I try to do a workout then stick to rum or gin with diet mixers.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this. It works for me too. I even replaced my skim milk for unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    which is 40 calories and no sugar. When I want it sweet I'll add splenda or stevia now and then. Any kind of Diet drink
    works well for me most of the time. Its a good rule...Where did it come from anyway?
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Only drink calories that offer nutritional value - otherwise you're just consuming empty calories. Only juice I drink is orange juice because it's so packed with nutrients.
  • nannyx6
    nannyx6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Water all the way.Coffee in the morning with a little skim milk.Sugary drinks make me feel like I`m gonna be a diebetic lol.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I can't afford liquid calories, they are just too many empty calories. I need those calories for food!!! I drink 90-95% water. Might have a bit of orange juice or milk every once in awhile with breakfast. Might have a beer or 2 a week. I drink 10-12 cups of water a day. Soda, fruit juice, gatorade, etc is just too many calories.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm an alcoholic but I do like a nice glass of wine now & then. Other than that, I have been able to give up most 'drink' calories. I miss my frappucinos but don't miss coke as much as I thought I would. I have a cappucino maker & can make my own fat free (skim milk foams best anyway) so I'm good. I'd much prefer a real orange over OJ but I do drink V8 sometimes (they're very low in cals, high sodium)
  • WarriorBabe
    WarriorBabe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have wine 1-2 times a week, and otherwise it is mostly seltzer for me (I got a machine to make it at home, to reduce costs and garbage). It hasn't made a big difference because I didn't drink a lot of calories to begin with. My husband, a doctor who counsels on diet with kids, has them eliminate all or most juice as a first step.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I made that rule way back in the early 80's. Nothing but water sense then. I did drink my cup of coffee daily but am off that now too.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The only calories I drink is alcohol and then only really at the weekends. Sure I drink about a meal's worth of calories then, but it's a huge part of my social life and for me it's non-negotiable.

I haven't drunk full-fat sodas/drinks since Coca Cola introduced TAB and Diet Lilt. Thankfully now diet drinks are potable and Dr Pepper is my poison, although I'm trying to cut down because I feel the fizzy is synched in with my snacking habit.

Black coffee in the morning and milk in my breakfast cereal 2-3 times a week.

Not sure I could live on water alone :drinker:
  • chellaJKR
    chellaJKR Posts: 146
    Options
    I've tried so many times. All I drink is water and coffee with milk. If I don't have my morning coffee, I'm a BEAST of a human.
  • flpjck
    flpjck Posts: 6
    Options
    The only exception I make is for alcohol, and I also drink less of that than I used to.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Unless it's booze, I don't drink my calories..i'd rather eat . But every now and then I get a skinny soy vanilla latte at starbucks, it's a treat that i can't refuse when the craving hits but that's less than once a month
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I thikn this is a good rule of thumb. I drink a little bit of creamer in my coffee, I binge drink 2 or 3 times a month (highly caloric Iknow but I balance it out with excercise and lack of food on these weekends, no lectures please), also if Im not feeling well instead of eating Ill have a protien shake before I work out, sometimes my body just cant handle food
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I only drink water and unsweetened tea, with 1 exception skim milk every once in a while. Soda 's just not worth it, I dont drink diet because of the sodium
  • Mentzerj
    Mentzerj Posts: 44
    Options
    Ya, I made this same change too basically - only exception being for my protein shakes. Soda was never my thing, but I used to drink sooo much red diamond sweet tea on a daily basis.
    Biggest adjustment for me was coffee - I probably had a starbucks (from the store or a frap or something) on a daily basis for the last 10+ years.. went cold turkey on those when I got serious about my strength training, etc.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I geneerally do not take in liquid calories. Sometimes I have a protein shake but otherwise all of my calories are from food.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it, but my liquid calorie intake is minimal.

On a normal day all I drink is water, tea with a little splash of skim milk, or black coffee. As a treat, now and again I'll have diet coke.
  • danimoon67
    danimoon67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Same with me. On a day to day basis it's mainly water with a little Diet Coke. The only exception is once every few months or so when I enjoy a few alcoholic drinks out with friends.
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I try not to drink too many but I can't give up skim milk, I love it! That and every once in a while I'll have a soda but I am trying to cut that out.