Substitute for P90X's Ab Ripper?

Options
I just finished day #1 of P90X...with major modifications. Day 1 calls for the Ab Ripper workout which I could barely do. I have trouble with those moves that require simultaneous lifting of the upper and lower body.

Does anyone have a 15-20 minute ab workout DVD they like that doesn't use such moves?

TIA!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    look up 8 minute abs on youtube.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    DO NOT SUBSTITUTE AB RIPPER!!! it is the best work out ever!

when i started p90x i couldnt do 5 reps of anything and had to keep pausing the video. Now i can do i straight though.

Keep working with it just modify and pause.

do your best and forget the rest (its worth it!)

for the up/lower body lifting...start with either your feet or hands on the ground for support and gradually lessen up! You'll get there!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! I sucked horribly at the Ab ripper. It killed my lower back with the pressure from so much weight (I'm currently 260 lbs.). Instead, I do a 20 minute Turbo Jam Ab Jam video and it's great! It's on the Turbo Jam Cardio Mix #1 disc (which is a good workout for your 'off' day on p90x though I do zumba on my 'off' days)
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I could not do ab ripper at first I just modified it until my strength built up I kept my feet down so my lower back was not pulled ect. sometimes whilel they were doing something that did not feel good I would do crunches in a the alotted time. I saw as the weeks went on I could more and more it was a challenge! now I can do a lot of it with an occasional rest.

there is an exercise instructor tamilee that put out a dvd of all different ab routines if you still want to ditch ab ripper I used to do that there is about 8 different short workouts I will try to find it and find the name
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    yeah ab ripper sucks!!! I have been doing P90x for about 2 years and have just completed my 4th round. I still to this very day cannot do every move in ab ripper correctly. I HATE how every move requires balancing on your tail bone. I swear I can feel the bone crunching everytime I do it. I have had alot more success with bodyrock.tv. She has amazing ab workouts that are very short. (not to mention amazing abs) Just looking at that woman makes me want to work harder!
  • skent2u
    skent2u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree - keep pluggin'!! You'll be able to increase your reps in no time. It's a great program! My only complaint is I can't find the P90X workouts on myfitnesspal to document my exercise...
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree everyone that you should keep up doing it mod until you can handle doing the entire thing. It does take time..... but so worht it. If you must change, P90 (versus P90x) has an ab video and is the precursor to the extreme ones, if you want to stay in the family. Also Cindy Whitmarsh from Exercise Tv has an ab series called Incredible Abs. Goes from level 2-6 or something like that. I like these because they tend to be non-traditional ab moves, but at some point, you end up on the ground doing the basics. Which is why I would recommend pushing through.
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have issues with it as well. It really strains my back. I have a messed up spine, and it's not quite up to the task of doing Ab Ripper X yet. I've been doing everything else in the program, but most days I just can't make it past the first two or three moves. I will always give it a shot before I substitute (who knows, maybe I'm feeling "good" that day and can make it further!) but if after a few moves I really feel the back pain, I'll switch it out with the TurboFire, ChaLEAN Extreme or even Rockin' Body's ab workouts. They give me the same sore-ab-feeling when I'm finished, but they don't take such a toll on my spine. :)
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. When I was lighter and younger, I could do those complex ab moves but not now.

I plan on checking out each of the suggestions. I even have an old TJ set and will check it out again, see if there's an ab routine.