Question about Half Training Plans

Options
Ok half marathoners - I have two training plans in my hot little hands. The first one has the longest run before the race set to 10 miles. The second one has me going to 14 and is MUCH more intense. I've never done this before. I've been following the second plan, but I feel like I'm running my *kitten* off? I mean, the race isn't until November 5th, and my long run this weekend is supposed to be 7 miles. Already??!!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    well...is this your first half?

if its your first then do the 14 mile long run so you have the mental "i can do this" under your belt
    if you have run before than do the 10 mile one and add in speedwork if you feel its "too easy"

i use runnersworld.com training plans than just tweak them as I feel necessiary. My goal is getting faster so i focus less on the long run (though I do it at goal pace) and more on speedwork or tempo runs. Its really all about what your goals are.

Feel free to message me more about your goals and to send me the specific plans you are comparing and I'll offer up some advice. I've run one full and 6 half with 3 scheduled this fall

good luck!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My half is September 18th. Just signed up yesterday. Going to run a normal Hal Higdon plan...plus what I want, and with the advice of another halfer I have on here, going to taper as normal the 2 weeks before the marathon. Was going to completely wing it, but I thought a little training can't hurt it. I've ran up to 15 miles before, so like the previous person said make your longest training run higher than 13.1. That way you know you can do it. I'm a committment phobe when it comes to following things, gotta tweak it a little bit.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You can also always modify and adjust things to how you think they should go/how your body feels- if you want to repeat a long run at 6m, go for it. Or maybe take the two plans and combine what you like best about each.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

if its your first then do the 14 mile long run so you have the mental "i can do this" under your belt
    if you have run before than do the 10 mile one and add in speedwork if you feel its "too easy"

i use runnersworld.com training plans than just tweak them as I feel necessiary. My goal is getting faster so i focus less on the long run (though I do it at goal pace) and more on speedwork or tempo runs. Its really all about what your goals are.

Feel free to message me more about your goals and to send me the specific plans you are comparing and I'll offer up some advice. I've run one full and 6 half with 3 scheduled this fall

good luck!

The plan that only goes to 10 miles is the Hal Higdon Novice plan. The other one is a modified plan a runner friend gave me. I think it was originally the Higdon novice marathon plan. We entered the race date two weeks after the 14 mile run, and then stepped back to two weeks ago. That had me starting with a long run of 6 miles in week one. The long runs alternate weeks in this plan. I'd post them here, but pretty sure they'd look funky?

Oh, and yes, this is my first half. I've only run 5ks up til now! :)
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I use Hal Higdon's program and it's done well for me! I am running my second half on September 11!

Good luck!
  • wittersby
    Options
    I also use runner's world training plan and really like it. My longest run is 10 miles. I say just do what you're comfortable with and enjoy it!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I would look for a training plan for novices. On this first half, you want to build up the milage and not worry so much about time. Trust me, that but will get run off! I am doing a half on Labor day and next saturday will be my long run. (12 miles.) Good luck to you!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you have the time to build the distance, and your body is following suit, which it seems is your case, I highly recommend going longer than the 13.1 in training. Building your long run to 14, even 15 miles will do wonders for you come race day.
  • AggieCass09
    Options

good luck!

The plan that only goes to 10 miles is the Hal Higdon Novice plan. The other one is a modified plan a runner friend gave me. I think it was originally the Higdon novice marathon plan. We entered the race date two weeks after the 14 mile run, and then stepped back to two weeks ago. That had me starting with a long run of 6 miles in week one. The long runs alternate weeks in this plan. I'd post them here, but pretty sure they'd look funky?

Oh, and yes, this is my first half. I've only run 5ks up til now! :)

i'm a bit confused on what you mean by the "stepped back to two weeks ago part" but I suggest filling out the runners world plan and then kind of meshing all three plans together. A long run of 6 miles isnt crazy for week 1 unless your weekly total mileage is less than 16 or some miles a week, in which case you should be starting with 4 or 5 miles. Just do what YOU feel comfortable doing. Regardless of if you long run is 10 or 14 miles, you'll be fine! I'd still suggest the 14 mile long run just so you mentally know you can do it...those nerves will get ya during your first half. But the rest of the plan shouldn't kill you or make you hate running ;-)
  • CCGwald
    CCGwald Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This being your first, the only goal should be: “To Finish”. If you feel the training is too intense, it probably is. If you hurt yourself over-training you will not “Finish” because you probably won’t start. Don’t fret over times, no matter in what time you “Finish” it will be a Personal Best. Worry about your speed in your second Half Marathon.
    Best of Luck
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    i'm a bit confused on what you mean by the "stepped back to two weeks ago part" but I suggest filling out the runners world plan and then kind of meshing all three plans together. A long run of 6 miles isnt crazy for week 1 unless your weekly total mileage is less than 16 or some miles a week, in which case you should be starting with 4 or 5 miles. Just do what YOU feel comfortable doing. Regardless of if you long run is 10 or 14 miles, you'll be fine! I'd still suggest the 14 mile long run just so you mentally know you can do it...those nerves will get ya during your first half. But the rest of the plan shouldn't kill you or make you hate running ;-)

I started week three of training yesterday. So I'm already 2 weeks into the plan, and have run over 30 miles. :) I've done some 10k runs on my own, so I guess I should stick with the tougher plan since I'm not starting from zero.
  • AggieCass09
    Options

I started week three of training yesterday. So I'm already 2 weeks into the plan, and have run over 30 miles. :) I've done some 10k runs on my own, so I guess I should stick with the tougher plan since I'm not starting from zero.

ah, gotcha! Definately do the tougher plan, you arent a "beginner" runner by any means if you run 30 miles a week! I'm sending a friend request :-)
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    ah, gotcha! Definately do the tougher plan, you arent a "beginner" runner by any means if you run 30 miles a week! I'm sending a friend request :-)

Well, 15 miles per week, but that is going up again starting today. :)

this is the harder of the two plans (sorry for the crappy formatting, it won't let me fix it!)

WEEK MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN DATE

1 CROSS 3.0 CROSS CROSS 2.5 5.5 2.0 8/6/2011
    2 CROSS 3.0 3.0 CROSS 3.0 3.0 3.0 8/13/2011
    3 CROSS 3.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 6.0 3.0 8/20/2011
    4 CROSS 3.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 6.0 3.0 8/27/2011
    5 CROSS 3.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 7.0 3.0 9/3/2011
    6 CROSS 4.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 5.0 3.0 9/10/2011
    7 CROSS 4.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 9.0 3.0 9/17/2011
    8 CROSS 5.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 10.0 3.0 9/24/2011
    9 CROSS 5.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 7.0 3.0 10/1/2011
    10 CROSS 6.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 12.0 3.0 10/8/2011
    11 CROSS 6.0 CROSS CROSS 3.0 13.0 3.0 10/15/2011