How did you determine your Target Weight?!

Options
How did you come up with what your target weight should be? Did you use the BMI chart? Did your doctor tell you? I used both. According to the BMI chart a woman of my height should be 177lbs. My doctor said if I could get under 190lbs he'd be happy. So I combined the two and I am working to loose 100lbs and be 170lbs by 2014!!

Replies

• Whopooh
    Whopooh Posts: 50
    Options
    I used the BMI chart. Good luck on your weight lose journey.
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Aiming for a mid range healthy bmi and the reassess
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I remembered how I felt when I was slim, knew what weight I was then and added about half a stone - it was 20 years ago and I think you need to carry a LITTLE more weight as you get older otherwise you can look a bit scrawny, lol :)
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I used the BMI chart, mostly. My goal is 145-147ish. The body fat % typically associated with that weight is also what I'd like to achieve.
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    I went by both BMI and a weight I had seen after my teens (I am 40) that I know is realistic - which was my wedding weight 5 years ago before 2 children. When I reach that goal, I may revise, but it was something to work for this year! Cheers, Christy
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Mine's just a number that feels right to me, but it's still overweight on the charts and it's oddly about 30 pounds lighter than the Dukan site thinks my "true weight" is. Maybe I'll get to Dukan's suggestion and be happy, but I'm still aiming for 167 for now.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My target is the midpoint of the BMI range for my height, but when I get 10lbs from it I'm going to get my body fat % tested to make sure that's not too low of a weight for me since I have a large frame.
  • tatesmom
    tatesmom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used the BMI chart and also what I thought I would be comfortable with!! Good luck!! You can do it!! I have been using MFP since March of this year and have a goal of 100# to lose and I am almost halfway there!!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    BMI. If I get there (top end of the Healthy range for me is 154) and I am happy, I'll maintain there. if not, I am shoot for other few lbs. Good luck to you!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am aiming to reach the mid-level of my healthy BMI range.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I was down to 130 which I chose for my Goal weight. Now I am working more towards a look than a number. When I decide things are toned up enough, tummy is flat enough, and I am plateaued there, I am done and will hit maintaining mode. I am guessing around 135 will be my weight. Works for me!!!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    BMI and weight are the two worst things to set a target by.

Both will suggest very low numbers which won't be valid for a lot of people.

Go by Body Fat % and the mirror.

For instance:

If you are 200 pounds and 38% BF, for a woman 22-25% is normal.

At 200 pounds and 38% BF you'd have 124 pounds of lean mass (Muscle, bones..ect) and 76 pounds of fat.
    To be 23% body fat you'd be around 160 pounds. You may have to be little lighter than that but pretty close.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    My target weight is 150lbs. The last time I weighed that much was when my husband and I were dating. I want my pre-baby weight back! We have 3 boys already and it's time to find me again. When I reach that goal, I just might make another goal to get down to 130lbs. We'll see...
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet.
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight based on what I weighed before I went to college. I wasn't skinny by any means but looked good... I also have such a long journey, that I needed something that sounded reasonably attainable.

Now once I reach my target weight, I may take another look at my goal and how I feel and decide to drop a few more pounds.
  • ShadowFangs
    Options
    I decided mine but I may change it as im seeing a help to slim nurse in a few hours. I think I chose mine because of my bmi and i hate random numbers especiall odd ones but then again im an odd one myself :smile:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My target is the midpoint of the BMI range for my height, but when I get 10lbs from it I'm going to get my body fat % tested to make sure that's not too low of a weight for me since I have a large frame.

Ditto!
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Im aiming for the midpoint of a healthy BMI for my height, Im considered medium size bones
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I used the BMI chart, and I am shooting for what I've read to be the healthiest BMI -- 22. Which makes my goal 145 lbs. However, I'm also focusing on body fat percentage, shooting for 19-22%. Based on my calculations, I have approx 117 lbs lean body mass, so for my body fat % goals, I should weigh between 142-150 lbs.
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I went off BMI chart and what I weighed when I first started college.