Ready for a Lifestyle Change

Options
Hi, my name is Rachel, and I'm here because I'm ready to change my life. I am 21 years old, 5'7", and 216lb. I have been overweight all my life. I was raised on Dr Pepper, Taco Bell, and Kraft mac n cheese. Add emotional eating issues to the way I was raised, and it's no wonder that I have a weight problem.

I've wanted to lose weight for years and years. When I was in high school, I dropped about 30 lb and got into a size 8. Then I met my now-husband and started hanging around with his family--who eats fast food for dinner, every night. I've put on more than 50lb since then.

Now we have a little boy, 1.5 years old, and I want better for him. While I feed him a great, healthy, well-balanced diet, I know I also need to be a good example with eating habits and physical activity. We have a park just a few blocks from our house, and yet I always drive there because I'm too lazy to walk. Not anymore!

What finally clicked for me and made me committed to losing this weight? I realized that my weight issues are all in my head. I have always made excuses for eating poorly and not exercising. I can look at my sisters, mother, and grandmother and say "well I have bad genes, I'll never be a healthy weight" but that's just an excuse. I am an overachiever, I am a highly motivated individual--and I know that if I get my head in the game, stop making excuses, and work towards my goal, of course I can do it!

There is literally nothing standing in my way. I am a great cook and I have an extensive repertoire of healthy meals. I work full-time but I can cook my lunch in the kitchen here, so there's no excuse to eat crappy fast food. I cook really healthy dinners at home, as long as I don't get lazy and order pizza instead. I have all the tools at my fingertips, I just have to choose to utilize them. I have to choose to stop bingeing, stop eating fast food, and stop drinking soda. I have to stop eating whatever I want, whenever I want, and making excuses for myself.

Reading all the success stories on this board have really motivated me. I hope I can get to know you all so we can support each other in our weight loss.

Sorry this has been so long!

Replies

• SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Here, here.
  • gocyndigo
    Options
    Yes! You can do all of those things! Welcome :~)
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    You will do this! Welcome!

I also used to use the excuse that my family is just destined to be "fat". Both my mom and sister are overweight, and my mom has had both knees replaced because of the stress on them. My goal is to not have to have that done when I get older. Good luck with the program!

:smile: