Two Questions

Options
Okay, so I was having breakfast this morning while logging my food and trying to find answeres to these two questions to no avail:

Sodium intake? I never hit my recommended daily amount - I might get to about half. Is that bad?

Green Goodness - I tried it this morning and its FANTASTIC. For someone that hates veggies, its like the perfect thing. I know that its not as great as actually eating veggies, missing out on fiber, etc - but this is probably as close as I'm going to get. Does anyone know how many servings of veggies 8oz of GG is supposed to be?

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I was having breakfast this morning while logging my food and trying to find answeres to these two questions to no avail:

Sodium intake? I never hit my recommended daily amount - I might get to about half. Is that bad?

Green Goodness - I tried it this morning and its FANTASTIC. For someone that hates veggies, its like the perfect thing. I know that its not as great as actually eating veggies, missing out on fiber, etc - but this is probably as close as I'm going to get. Does anyone know how many servings of veggies 8oz of GG is supposed to be?
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    What's "green goodness"? I've never heard of it.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You can read about green goodness here: http://www.bolthouse.com/html/cs_green_juice_n.html

Its not really like a juice, its more like a smoothie. Its delicious too. :love:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok Sodium is bad, so getting less is A OK! You probably eat very clean and this is why the low numbers. I mean our bodies need sodium, but not what the average american takes in.

You find it in a lot of canned stuff, restaurants LOAD their food with salt.

I dont know about the GG. Nothing on the lable, huh? That seems silly, dosent it!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Ok Sodium is bad, so getting less is A OK! You probably eat very clean and this is why the low numbers. I mean our bodies need sodium, but not what the average american takes in.

I dont know about the GG. Nothing on the lable, huh? That seems silly, dosent it!

AWTY, I wouldn't really call sodium "bad". It's bad in excess like anything else, but when it comes to bodily functions, sodium is GREAT. We need it for absolutely everything! Too little sodium is actually fatal, so getting less than the RDA is just as bad as getting too little vitamins, minerals, or water. We need even more than the RDA when we exercise because we lose a lot of salt in our sweat. So while it's good to keep an eye on, it's bad to take in too little. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

AWTY, I wouldn't really call sodium "bad". It's bad in excess like anything else, but when it comes to bodily functions, sodium is GREAT. We need it for absolutely everything! Too little sodium is actually fatal, so getting less than the RDA is just as bad as getting too little vitamins, minerals, or water. We need even more than the RDA when we exercise because we lose a lot of salt in our sweat. So while it's good to keep an eye on, it's bad to take in too little. :flowerforyou:

So taking in 2500 g of sodium a day is minimum? I always thought it caused high BP. In other countries their foods are not laden with the stuff like us.

How does sodium help us? I appreciate your input SBS:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

So taking in 2500 g of sodium a day is minimum? I always thought it caused high BP. In other countries their foods are not laden with the stuff like us.

The link between sodium and high BP is similar to the link between egg yolks and high cholesterol. If you have a pre-existing condition, taking in excess can exacerbate it. If you have high BP or are dehydrated, you need to watch your salt intake. But if your BP is normal and you remain hydrated, excess salt will be flushed from your system. Your urinary system actually monitors both your blood pressure and the amount of "stuff" dissolved in your urine, and will cause you to retain or excrete water as needed.

Salt is used in producing something called an 'action potential'. Action potentials are constantly going on all over your whole body. They are what cause your nerves to work. When an action potential travels down a nerve, it causes chemicals to be released, and those chemicals are used for everything from hormone production to muscle movement to thinking. When you consider than there are more neurons in your body than grains of sand on a beach, that is a heck of a lot of sodium moving around. Potassium is equally important as potassium has to be present for sodium to do its job. They sort of hop across neurons like leap frog, and that's what causes the action potentials. With too little sodium, these can't happen, and that is why it becomes fatal. Everything just shuts down.

For every hour of incredibly-sweaty exercise, you should consume about another 500-1000mg of sodium depending on how you lose electrolytes. If you notice a white film on your skin after the sweat has dried, that means you lose a lot of salt. If you don't see that or your sweat doesn't taste like much, you lose a bit less. This is why sports drinks are so helpful--the supply sodium, potassium, and carbohydrates.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

The link between sodium and high BP is similar to the link between egg yolks and high cholesterol. If you have a pre-existing condition, taking in excess can exacerbate it. If you have high BP or are dehydrated, you need to watch your salt intake. But if your BP is normal and you remain hydrated, excess salt will be flushed from your system. Your urinary system actually monitors both your blood pressure and the amount of "stuff" dissolved in your urine, and will cause you to retain or excrete water as needed.

Salt is used in producing something called an 'action potential'. Action potentials are constantly going on all over your whole body. They are what cause your nerves to work. When an action potential travels down a nerve, it causes chemicals to be released, and those chemicals are used for everything from hormone production to muscle movement to thinking. When you consider than there are more neurons in your body than grains of sand on a beach, that is a heck of a lot of sodium moving around. Potassium is equally important as potassium has to be present for sodium to do its job. They sort of hop across neurons like leap frog, and that's what causes the action potentials. With too little sodium, these can't happen, and that is why it becomes fatal. Everything just shuts down.

For every hour of incredibly-sweaty exercise, you should consume about another 500-1000mg of sodium depending on how you lose electrolytes. If you notice a white film on your skin after the sweat has dried, that means you lose a lot of salt. If you don't see that or your sweat doesn't taste like much, you lose a bit less. This is why sports drinks are so helpful--the supply sodium, potassium, and carbohydrates.

thanks SBS! It makes a lot more sense to me now.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

thanks SBS! It makes a lot more sense to me now.

No problem :smile:

But I don't have any idea what Green Goodness is either LOL :laugh: