Am I the only runner who has this problem??

OK this is prolly TMI but......So running has always made me hafta "go" after I was done, but recently I've found myself 1/2 mile (or recently 2 and 1/2 miles) away from a bathroom. Why does this happen? Does it happen to you??? What do yall do about it? Just wondering!! :blushing:

Replies

• dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    nope. I get it too. and I hate it...I'll be interested to see what peopl say.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Yes. I hate it. I usually do my first warm-up mile close to home. It's misery.
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    I was supposed to run 6 miles Saturday. I got 2 and 1/2 miles from my Jeep and had to go. I thought well.... I can walk the rest of the way or get there faster by running..LOL I havent pooed my pants yet.....
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    OMG! THis happens to me whenever I exercise!! I have to stop in the middle to go to the bathroom...SOOOOo annoying!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    This could be a sign of dehydration, you should try to have 8-16 oz of water at least 1/2 hr before you run, and I believe 8 oz for every 1/2 of running. If you are not drinking up before or during your run, or if you are drinking too close to run time you may be inadvertently dehydrating your body and causing the bowel movement.
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Luckily this has only happened to me once.. right in the middle of a 4 mile run... out of nowhere! I think I must have eaten something that caused it but I really don't know for sure. But usually my schedule is that I go to the bathroom right before I run, either when I get home from work or in the morning, so I don't have bathroom problems. I guess I would suggest either going before your run if you can, or run along a route that has restaurants/gas stations etc where you can use a bathroom if you really need to. It may be something in your diet... maybe this information may help some: http://www.time-to-run.com/doctor/runnerstrots.htm

good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    wow. I've never had this problem. Interesting :noway:
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    happens to me too...a couple days ago, I was out for 3 miles, and nature came calling! i was like sprinting home hahaha
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    I've actually had the opposite experience, when I exercise it seems to put everything "on hold".
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Umm, I was lost for a second. I thought we were talking about having to go pee pee. Nope thank goodness this has never happend to me, but always find myself having to go pee half way through.
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    I think it's psychological... if you think you have to go, then you do (or maybe not....). Luckily, it hasn't happened to me.... yet~

Run Happy!!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Yep, I definitely have this problem -- I thought it was because I have Ulcerative Colitis, but it sounds like it's fairly common (one top marathoner even talks about how he eats spicy food before runs to train himself to run through the pain/maintain control -- eeeep!) I've kind of narrowed down my triggers to too much fibre the night before (leafy greens and strawberries especially, for me) and not enough water before/during the run. It gets worse at certain times of the month for me as well, so I just plan to be near a bathroom for those runs.

Edited to add: I've seen some sites call this "the runner's trots"...that makes me giggle. :3
  • runslikeagirl
    This could be a sign of dehydration, you should try to have 8-16 oz of water at least 1/2 hr before you run, and I believe 8 oz for every 1/2 of running. If you are not drinking up before or during your run, or if you are drinking too close to run time you may be inadvertently dehydrating your body and causing the bowel movement.

I have found that on the days that I run, if I don't drink a lot of water my calves cramp up so I make sure on the days I run I drink the crap out of water.
  • runslikeagirl
    Yep, I definitely have this problem -- I thought it was because I have Ulcerative Colitis, but it sounds like it's fairly common (one top marathoner even talks about how he eats spicy food before runs to train himself to run through the pain/maintain control -- eeeep!) I've kind of narrowed down my triggers to too much fibre the night before (leafy greens and strawberries especially, for me) and not enough water before/during the run. It gets worse at certain times of the month for me as well, so I just plan to be near a bathroom for those runs.

Edited to add: I've seen some sites call this "the runner's trots"...that makes me giggle. :3

LOL well that makes me feel better..there is a name for it!!! :laugh:
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    too much fiber not enough water :)
    I found that on days that had salad for lunch and not enough water I would always have to go during my afternoon runs...
    so I make sure to drink tons of water on run days and have more proteins for lunch.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    ur not alone...it happens to me very often. Ive even had to cut a few runs short to avoid a very ugly situation :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Try to force it out prior to your run and also drink 2 cups of water before your run. Dehydration can make you need to poo while running.
  • stelid
    stelid Posts: 60
    My aunt (an avid runner) has actually had an accident in her pants. She claims that running loosens you up...I don't know, man, I have only ever had to go really bad once and I made it home, but I try to go before I run even if its early.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    I don't think it's dehydration per say but it MIGHT be sodium level problems... Seeing as how the problems arise usually after sweating for a bit after running a few miles? Too much water with not enough sodium makes it hard for the body to hold onto the water, and thus... out it goes!
  • Try running at a different time of day if you can. If you always run at the same time, and you always have to go, maybe that's your internal schedule. My husband goes at about the same time everyday - like clock work. I don't know if this could be it - it's probably just that the activity gets your bowels moving.