I'm watching this! :)
  • funayman
    funayman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 and it does everything I need and super simple to use
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I found my Barska on ebay brand new (free shipping) for $40 and LOVE it. It also has that chest strap.
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 but I just bought my boyfriend a Polar FT4. Check out the differences between the FT4 and FT7 - they are minimal and the FT4 is a little cheaper. Both have user change-able batteries, chest straps, and the same features.

:)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You don't need an expensive HRM. Any one that can give you your Avg. Heart Rate (AHR) is fine. As long as you are careful to not start it too soon, and stop it immediately when you're done, you can get your AHR, then plug it into a "calories burned" calculator to estimate. (if you start the HRM too soon, or leave it on too long after exercise, the AHR will go down bc it will include your resting HR).

The expensive ones will do the calculations for you, but if you are on a budget, there are plenty of online calculators. Here's one (do be sure to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS -- and enter 35 as your VO2 max if you don't know it, otherwise you will get an overestimate:

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

blessings.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4!! I love it!! I spend $60 on Amazon.com. If you research it enough, you can find coupon codes to make it even cheaper. :happy:
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by expensive. There are several on the market for less than $100. I just got a Polar FT7 recently. Love it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7 are best. Look on amazon.. they have good deals.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4!! I love it!! I spend $60 on Amazon.com. If you research it enough, you can find coupon codes to make it even cheaper. :happy:

Yup. Just got one from Amazon too. It's "bronze".
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    what about the ones from walmart? No chest strap, anyone know if its accurate? (Health Touch brand)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    what about the ones from walmart? No chest strap, anyone know if its accurate? (Health Touch brand)

Negative.. you need one with a chest strap for accuracy.. esp if you want it to count calories. You also want one that you can enter all of your info into(age, sex, weight, height).

If it doesn't have those things then your better off using MFP or a machine.