Abs/Lower Back exercises

Options
Can anyone recommend any ab/lower back exercises I can do on a mat to get rid of the little pooch belly that I have from losing weight. I always heard that you have to do a ton of cardio to lose the belly and then do ab/lower back exercises to tone the stomach up once u have lost a lot of the belly weight. Any suggestions would help! Thanks!

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Cardio is what will work that belly fat pooch off. But ya want to be doing ab exercises so that when that belly fat is gone you have defined abs underneath. All forms of crunches... regular crunches, reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, planks, side planks with oblique lifts, then there is sitting leg lifts, standing side bends with weights, lumberjacks with weights
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend any ab/lower back exercises I can do on a mat to get rid of the little pooch belly that I have from losing weight. I always heard that you have to do a ton of cardio to lose the belly and then do ab/lower back exercises to tone the stomach up once u have lost a lot of the belly weight. Any suggestions would help! Thanks!
    You cannot target fat loss. Ab exercises will not get rid of or change the amount of fat in the belly area. Your best bet for that is eat a clean diet and do cardio.

Ab work is important but not to lose weight, it helps balance, strength, posture, speed, reduces risk of back injuries, but weight loss (loss of fat) is not one of the benefits.

"Stay thirsty my friend"
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I do kempo dvds, belly and back exercises, and core exercises along with cardio to maintain my core. 1st step is to eat clean. You want to burn that fat away. Cardio helps with this. I don't think doing crunches is going to help. That maintains your abs but won't burn the fat away.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    You cannot target fat loss. Ab exercises will not get rid of or change the amount of fat in the belly area. Your best bet for that is eat a clean diet and do cardio.

Ab work is important but not to lose weight, it helps balance, strength, posture, speed, reduces risk of back injuries, but weight loss (loss of fat) is not one of the benefits.

"Stay thirsty my friend"

Thanks for your comment on this post. This will be a great help to me. My abs are my worst enemy.
  • ErikaSwenson
    ErikaSwenson Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do kempo dvds, belly and back exercises, and core exercises along with cardio to maintain my core. 1st step is to eat clean. You want to burn that fat away. Cardio helps with this. I don't think doing crunches is going to help. That maintains your abs but won't burn the fat away.

What are Kempo DVDs and can they be found at a Target/Walmart? Thanks!