Tall is tough!!

sarantonio
sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
Okay I'm 5'8 and I know that its' not THAT tall but it seems like it takes longer to notice a difference after losing weight than my friend who is the same 182 lbs but 4 inches shorter. When do I get to see this? Any other tall(ish?) girls notice that you have to lose double to see half?

Replies

• EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    im 6'2... and it takes me forever to build noticable muscle compared to a regular 5'8-10 guy... he will look buffer than me but he will be short n stubby compared to me... ill end up looking tall, lean, big, n like a model :P so at the end of the year i will look better even though i had to work twice as hard...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    But tall is also good because people don't notice 10lbs either!

I've never lost with anyone shorter, so no, I've never compared. Although it does seem to take me a lot of weight to move down a size.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I'm 5'9" and although it takes longer to notice a difference, taller people hold weight better and look leaner at all weights.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I lost 18 pounds and went from a size 10 to a 6 and not that many people noticed (I'm 5'10). I guess the upside is that it's not as noticeable when we gain a few pounds either.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 788 Member
    Yes, but a higher weight will look much better on you! I am 5' 3" and it always frustrates me that people who weigh the same or more and are taller than me look better than I do at my current weight!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Yeah! At 5'9" for sure! I remember that after I lost the first 10 pounds, I had to tell people cause noone saw it! Oh well, I do like my height and i can carry a wide range of pounds before I look too heavy......short gals don't have that luxury....
  • Maid4richie
    Maid4richie Posts: 78 Member
    I am 5'9 and i know the feeling ! it took me lossing 30lbs last time i walked this weight loss journey for anyone to say anything about me lossing weight . I do tend to carry my weight well no one ever guessed i weighed 240 but i did lol. just keep at it us tall girls can do it and look fabulous at the end :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I am secretly tall...
  • I'm 5'11" and no one ever notices either way if I gain or lose...
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    I'm 5'8" and it felt like awhile before I noticed! Just keep on keeping on and you'll see results pretty soon! Best of luck :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Very true. It took me about 40 pounds before I went down a couple sizes and noticed a difference. But just keep on trucking. It'll happen eventually!
  • Sagelit
    Sagelit Posts: 78
    Remember that the shorter ones also show weight gain faster, if that's any help.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    I always disliked being tall because I am naturally heavier than my shorter friends. They would talk about being twenty pounds lighter than me like it was the norm. But then again, they were also probably 4 inches shorter than me too!! Still think sometimes that Im a little too focused on the number on the scale as opposed to measurements and performance. On the upside, as others are saying, taller people do tend to look leaner and if nothing else we can intimidate our shorter counterparts. hehe ;P
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    I am only 5'7" but it took at least 20 if not 30 pounds before I really had people notice that I had lost weight (or at least comment on it) But as everyone had said before, the taller you are the better you carry additional weight.
  • I am secretly tall...

Lol
  • I know exactly how you feel. I am about 5'7" and before myfitnesspal I had lost over 30 lbs on my own. Sad thing is that although 30 lbs is a lot of weight, I only went down 2 jean sizes. BOO! But being taller, we have our advantages. We carry our weight much better. I was around 180 at my heaviest, yet no one ever believed me when I discussed my weight. They would always say that there was no way I weighed that and that I looked so much smaller than 180 lbs :) Girl, be proud of your height. Tall ppl are gorgeous!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    I am 5'9 and i know the feeling ! it took me lossing 30lbs last time i walked this weight loss journey for anyone to say anything about me lossing weight . I do tend to carry my weight well no one ever guessed i weighed 240 but i did lol. just keep at it us tall girls can do it and look fabulous at the end :)

Totally my deal! Im also 5'9 and I started at 246.2. it seemed to take forever before anyone else noticed I lost weight LOL Oh well...now they noticed! :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I'm 5'6".

I put on 10 pounds of fat it looks like 30, if I put on 10 pounds of muscle it looks like 30.
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    I'm 5'6".

I put on 10 pounds of fat it looks like 30, if I put on 10 pounds of muscle it looks like 30.

exactly! u short stubby guys are cheaters!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I'm 5'6".

exactly! u short stubby guys are cheaters!!

I prefer "Genetically Blessed". I mean, I only have to push the bar up 6 inches on a bench press to get full extention between the short arms and barrel chest.
This discussion has been closed.