Loestrin Birth Control and weight gain?

Options
Hey girls, I'm looking to start a birth control pill to help regulate my horrible times of the month. My obgyn gave me Loestrin sample packs. Has anyone taken this, and do you like it? Side effects? Weight gain? Please respond!

Replies

• rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey girls, I'm looking to start a birth control pill to help regulate my horrible times of the month. My obgyn gave me Loestrin sample packs. Has anyone taken this, and do you like it? Side effects? Weight gain? Please respond!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My sister is a gyno and says that most of the newer pills are very low doses of estrogen and weight gain is not that much of a side effect these days. I'm not sure about Loestrin but if it claims to have low doses of estrogen, you should be okay.

Later: Googled it, low chances of weight gain, although everyone reacts to this stuff differently.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am on Loestrin 24 and haven't noticed a big difference, good luck
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Having been on six different pills in my time I can tell you that everyone reacts differently to each different pill out there and while there are general beliefs about certain pills or estrogen/progesterone levels your experience will never be exactly the same as someone else's.

Keep an eye out for side effects that aren't normal for you though, some of the side effects I experienced with the lower doses of estrogen versus the Ortho Tri Cyclen I started on were hair loss (my head hair came out in handfuls because of hormone fluctuation), extended periods (sometimes over a week), breakthrough bleeding and acne. While these were specific to my experience be aware that if you are dropping your doses of estrogen you will more than likely experience some type of side effect as your body adjusts, sometimes these will go away and sometimes (as in my case) they won't and you will have to seek another solution/pill. My experience led me to maintain Ortho Tri Cyclen because of the slightly higher levels of estrogen because this is what my body needed to regulate and not experience side effects of the pill.
  • ShanIsRad
    Options
    I was actually on Loestrin 24 for about a year, and I noticed weight gain, so my doctor recently switched me to Yaz, which I love. I was off of birth control for about 6 months, and noticed no gain, so I think it was connected to the Loestrin. I've been on Yaz for about a month, and I love it. I've had no weight gain, and it actually cleared up the acne that I had.