Pressure to Drink Alcohol and Weight Loss

Options
I just started this weight loss journey and have stayed clear to my diet and workout routine so far. However, I was invited to a shore house this weekend(going Thurday night to Sunday mourning) and will be expected to drink. I kinda have to go because it will be the last time I will see these people for a while. Worst part is that I will be pressured to drink. What to do?

1. Do I sip on one beer the whole night?

2. Do I take 3 shots and just drink water?

3. Do I have a few beers and jog a mile on the beach in the morning and at night.

Are there any good ways to handle these situations?

Replies

• mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Depends on how important it is to you what decisions you make. If it were me, I would have no alcohol. Your friends should be respectful of your desire to be healthy, regardless. If you have to choose on thing, choose #1. I hate that you are even in this dilemma.
  • amberlee2011
    Options
    You don’t have to drink if you don’t want to. People respect others that stick to their guns – at least I do. You can always (if you drink diet pop) put that in one of those red plastic cups that everyone drinks from at parties and say you mixed it with captain. That way people think you are drinking and you can stick to what you want.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd go and just slip out and refill your beer bottle with water whenever you get low, how I've "drank with the boys" without the calorie hit in the past.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I drink light beer when I do drink. Have fun! Pound some beer! Everyone deserves a cheat day!
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your feelings toward the 'being pressured'. Do you want to drink? If yes, go for it and exercise a little more. If not, you know what to do ;) The most important part is to have fun with your friends, especially if you're not going to see them in a while. You are allowed a few cheat days, otherwise it's no good. So.... HAVE FUN!!! :)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Didn't your momma ever teach you to "just say no!"?!?! If you're afraid of it hindering your weight loss, then don't do it, plain and simple. If you wanna let loose, then go ahead, but don't let someone else "pressure" you to do anything!
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This won't be the last time that you will be in a situation where you would normally drink. Not drinking at all is fine if that is something that you will be happy with. However, you need to work on a long term solution, a way you will be happy dealing with it on a regular basis. I think getting a run on the beach is a great idea (also good for a hang over), and just try to pace yourself a lot/drink plenty of water.
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well... I'm confused by your post. Do you want to drink? If you want to, just go for it. Don't overdo it, but have a good time and try not to eat a bazillion food when you have the drunchies.

People will disagree I think but this is a lifestyle change so if you want the occasional drinking night with your buddies at the lake house or whatever, then do that. And if you can get exercise in while you are there as well, GREAT! (But be careful to drink PLENTY of water so you don't get dehydrated. Like, plenty.)
  • Sparrowcares
    Options
    I would take one drink (if you so wish to) and then settle for water with lemon on lime in it.. :smile: Be yourself and do as you please in regards to not drinking . You are there to enjoy yourself and not to be molded by your friends..... No need to explain anything either .... Just enjoy the fact that you can be disciplined!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would just say no and if they can't respect that then they aren't that great of friends. Usually I will drink a diet coke or something from a cup and people assume that there is alcohol in it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just started this weight loss journey and have stayed clear to my diet and workout routine so far. However, I was invited to a shore house this weekend(going Thurday night to Sunday mourning) and will be expected to drink. I kinda have to go because it will be the last time I will see these people for a while. Worst part is that I will be pressured to drink. What to do?

1. Do I sip on one beer the whole night?

2. Do I take 3 shots and just drink water?

3. Do I have a few beers and jog a mile on the beach in the morning and at night.

Are there any good ways to handle these situations?

i would go with option 3, as to me, this is a lifestyle change, and while i want to be more healthy, eat better and lose a bit of weight, i also want to have a good time with my friends, and get p*ssed once in a while!!

i have found i dont drink as much these days, mainly because i will eat everything in sight if i am hungover, so drink to moderation, throw in a bit of exercise & most importantly, enjoy!!!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    If you would prefer to not drink, then don't! You're 26 and should be past the age where 'peer pressure' should be dictating what you should be doing. I'm not trying to sound harsh though I realize it might. :flowerforyou: If you would rather not drink, there's really no need to over explain to your friends either - just say something like you're "not in the mood right now" or whatever. Keep it simple. :smile:

If you would like to have some drinks, maybe work in some extra exercise beforehand to compensate. And drink some water in between each drink.

Good luck and have fun!
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Because I still like to go out and drink with friends, I have a rule....for every alcoholic drink I have (shot, beer, mixed drink), I have a whole big cup of water. So I always ask for both when I'm drinking. It seems to work for me, and it keeps me from getting completely trashed.

But on the flip side, if you decide not to drink at all, your friends should respect you for that.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You could do any of those things, or you could opt to tell them "Hey, I've been doing really awesome with losing weight and this is gonna mess that up. I'll be the designated driver!" (People will be falling over themselves to let you drive them...LOL)

OR.....indulge. One night WILL put you over calories, but it doesn't have to be all or nothing with indulgences. You just work a little bit harder over the next week and it shouldn't make that huge of a difference.

Incidentally, working out the day after consuming alcohol is AWFUL....trust.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Have a few beersm but have a water between each one to save yourself the hangover :)
  • julzmamabear
    Options
    Obviously you don't have to drink but if you want to drink then do it in moderation, and be aware of how many calories you are having. When I drink I will have a vodka & soda water with a lemon (has about 69 calories) and for beer I will drink Michelob Ultra (has about 95 calories) If you think they are going to have "real" beer (Labatt Blue has about 153 calories) then bring your own. Or just fake it like the others have said, but if you just let them know you are trying to lose weight and they should respect that. That's what has worked for me so far(I haven't been on this weight loss journey for very long, so other might have better suggestions).
  • jfields42
    Options
    I'm usually good about saying no to people but I feel like I may come off as a super *kitten* this time(only because the whole point of the trip is probably to get drunk).

"Do you want to drink?"

Nope. I want no part of it. I'm feeling great and haven't had a soda(any other non water drink) in 10 days. It may not sound like a lot of time but I am used to drinking like 5 cans per day. My body is feeling great as well. I have so much energy.

The more I think about it, I won't drink this time. I'm just getting started and I don't think I deserve a cheat day yet. But, in the future I plan on handling it differently. Until I hit my goal weight I gotta strict though.

"If you would prefer to not drink, then don't! You're 26 and should be past the age where 'peer pressure' should be dictating what you should be doing"

Trust me...this is unusual for me. I usually lean more towards *kitten*. But, I do agree with the sentiment. I just won't be drinking.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'd go and just slip out and refill your beer bottle with water whenever you get low, how I've "drank with the boys" without the calorie hit in the past.

This. Is. Genius. Thanks for the tip!
  • amyblittle
    Options
    Just my opinion....If the people you are going to hang out with for the weekend are really your friends, they shouldn't pressure you to do anything that is going get you off your diet. You shouldn't feel like you HAVE to drink alcohol to enjoy yourself. Changing your life by eating healthier and working out is good for you, but if you can't live your life and enjoy it...what is it worth?

If you want to have a drink or two...it is not the end of the world, just make sure you stick to something low calorie and low sugar. Go for the lite beer or use mixers that are not too high in sugar. Something I like to do is alternate drinking water between "adult" drinks. That will limit your calorie intake and help you stay hydrated. The best thing to do is stay away from the adult drinks, but if you can't, everything in moderation, but keep in mind that you don't want to "Undo" everything you have started in one weekend.

Enjoy you time with your friends and it’s not a bad idea to take that mile or so run on the beach each day as well :)
  • jfields42
    Options
    n/m