Too much protein?

Options
How much is too much? My day generally goes something like this:

Breakfast - a pro-biotic yoghurt and a banana
Mid morning snack - blueberries
Lunch - prawns, chicken, couscous, cucumber, radishes, tomatoes, mushrooms
Afternoon - grapes
Dinner - poached egg, side salad, salmon

This gives me a pretty high reading on the protein and I know in excess that might not be great - used to be an Atkins fan, read all the scaremongering on that! Am I really so badly off though? I'm trying to do a 2 hour walk at the weekend, trying to do three one hour walks during the week and three gym sessions per week, so surely I need some of this - and more importantly it keeps me FULL and I can still eat more than a mouthful! So how much is too much protein??

I should say also, trying to avoid carbs after 3pm - as advised by fitness instructor - and the above is a 'good' day - I am good at failing the after 3pm rule, not with simple carbs though, still within calorie count just hate going to bed hungry, can't bear it!

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    500g per hour is too much.

Another words, you're fine. =)
  • shashaz2002
    Options
    From looking at your day it doesn't look like you are eating to much protein.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You really don't eat that much. I eat significantly more protein than you. There is no set number for protein but your body can easily use one gram of protein per pound of body weight if you are active.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'd never go over that - so if I use that rule I'm ok?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you think you have too much becuase you're using the MFP default settings, change them!
    I think they are completely backwards.... I set my protein to 45% and easily get 100-150g a days...
    Protein is great - especially if you also work out -- and it has the added bonus of keeping you feeling full. (unlike bard carbs!)
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    It looks perfectly ok to me and if it keeps you full and you're losing weight even better x
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    MFP has the protein allowance set quite low, I think at 15%? I aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight as I do strength training. I wouldn't worry about the number being in the red too much. Let me find a useful thread for you...

Here it is:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/139205-common-protein-concerns-questions
  • lpirie
    lpirie Posts: 24
    Options
    i eat around a 100g of protein a day. I think mfp gives us way too low in the protein. Protein is so important when losing weight because if you dont eat it then you will burn off your muscle instead of fat. I would be more concerned about going over carbs and fat then protein