Plateau already???

Options
I know I am doing things right muscle weighs more blah blah blah THE SCALE HAS NOT MOVED IN A WEEK!! Am I seriously plateauing after a little over a month????:mad: And it's not that TOM just got over that and had no bloat gain (which also was weird).

I am trying to stay positive and remember that this journey for me is as much about getting healthy as it is about losing weight but dang- we all just secretly want to hurry up and get sexy. :blushing:

I have been South Beaching and lost 23 lbs in the last month and a half (One month with mfp) and exercising more and more (It's almost as addictive as chocolate) every week. This week I went from walking 3 miles 4 days a week to couch to 5k 3 days and stepped up my wii active routines on my 4 non running days. Do I keep it up and hope it changes? Take days off? I don't know..........

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If you just introduced a lot of new exercise then your body could be retaining fluid. Just keep it up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I know I am doing things right muscle weighs more blah blah blah THE SCALE HAS NOT MOVED IN A WEEK!! Am I seriously plateauing after a little over a month????:mad: And it's not that TOM just got over that and had no bloat gain (which also was weird).

I am trying to stay positive and remember that this journey for me is as much about getting healthy as it is about losing weight but dang- we all just secretly want to hurry up and get sexy. :blushing:

I have been South Beaching and lost 23 lbs in the last month and a half (One month with mfp) and exercising more and more (It's almost as addictive as chocolate) every week. This week I went from walking 3 miles 4 days a week to couch to 5k 3 days and stepped up my wii active routines on my 4 non running days. Do I keep it up and hope it changes? Take days off? I don't know..........
    So cardio only?
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    It is pretty standard for me to not lose at all for a week, or even 2, and then drop 3-4 lbs over the course of the next week. I wouldn't say you were plateauing after only a week. Have patience, it will come. :flowerforyou:
  • dsevier12
    dsevier12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. It's so awful to try and try and feel like a failure. Did you take measurements? I didn't when I started exercising, and I regret it now. I have been working on the food and exercise for a month and have not lost a pound!! I finally took my measurements, but I don't have anything to compare them to, unfortunately. However, I don't feel any different in my clothes either, so I don't know what's going on with me.

I did South Beach with no exercise and lost 11 pounds not that long ago, but I gained them back :grumble:

I hope things get better for you!! In the meantime, you can watch me bomb and maybe you will feel better about yourself.....haha :laugh:
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The wii active does alot of strength building with weights lunges etc, so I have been considering it strength building. I'm definetly new to all this exercise stuff and I love that wii active is like exercise and weights 101.
    And I have been measuring inches (because someone said it helps keep you motivated when exercising and not dropping lbs) but I dont think I'm doing it right. I can measure my waist 3x in a row and get 3 completely different measurements.:huh:

Last week I felt on top of the world. This week I am doubting everything I am doing :angry:
  • Melaniec78
    Options
    I know how you feel. It's so awful to try and try and feel like a failure. Did you take measurements? I didn't when I started exercising, and I regret it now. I have been working on the food and exercise for a month and have not lost a pound!! I finally took my measurements, but I don't have anything to compare them to, unfortunately. However, I don't feel any different in my clothes either, so I don't know what's going on with me.

I did South Beach with no exercise and lost 11 pounds not that long ago, but I gained them back :grumble:

I hope things get better for you!! In the meantime, you can watch me bomb and maybe you will feel better about yourself.....haha :laugh:

If south beach worked for you before maybe you should try again? I lost 65 lbs on it 6 years ago and it worked for me because basically it teaches you how you are supposed to eat to be healthy (IN LAYMENS TERMS). I didn't gain them back until the last 2 years.

I think I am going to go over my food choices tonight and see if there is anything I can tweak a little. Anyone else is welcome to look at my meals and give advice also. (Some days I do cheat on south beach like snackwells cookies or carb smart ice creams lol but still try to control serving sizes and stay in calories)
  • jslmom1
    jslmom1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The same thing used to happen to me a few years back when I did SB the first time. I would cut all starchy carbs and fruit during the week and save the good stuff for Sat. And Sun. I was able to loose alot of weight that way. Something to think about. Keep exercising though, you doing great. Wish I was as motivated as you :wink:
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    during certain times of the month women retain more water.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? What's your average net intake after exercise?
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    It is pretty standard for me to not lose at all for a week, or even 2, and then drop 3-4 lbs over the course of the next week. I wouldn't say you were plateauing after only a week. Have patience, it will come. :flowerforyou:

I have had the same thing....
  • Melaniec78
    Options
    during certain times of the month women retain more water.
    honestly just got done with the water retention time so honestly I should have dropped a few if anything but this weight has been the same since 'that' time started. :grumble:
  • Melaniec78
    Options
    Are you eating enough? What's your average net intake after exercise?
    MFP recommended 1200 due to sedentary job and I usually eat most or all my exercise calories back (within 50) some days I eat 100 over thinking I am 'tricking' my body. (I read some stuff on zigzagging but the numbers the zigzagging website gave me seemed way to high).
    Anyway should I go back to not eating my fruit and my one grain a day? Should I take days off between exercising? I really don't want to do that because exercising feels so good. Or should I just sit back and stop obsessing?