Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?

Options
bgelliott
bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?

Oh the procrastination we all take part in. You are not alone. Most everyone procrastinates in some way or another. The one I encounter most often is “I will start back on my diet and workouts on Monday”. Whether it’s after a stressful day of cheating and laziness or a relaxing vacation where we eat everything in site and the gym is the farthest thing from our minds, the worst mindset is to wait yet one more week to return to your routine.

Most often I hear the excuse of “I start everything better on Mondays”! To this comment I ask WHY? What’s the difference between Monday and Thursday besides what someone decided to call it?

I speak from personal experience on this one, as I am the master of procrastination when it comes to certain things. The worst part of procrastinating with your diet and exercise goals is that you beat yourself up emotionally for several days while you are off track. You tell yourself each day that it’s ok to eat that ice cream or pizza because come Monday you will start up again. This is when people tend to go overboard because they want to cram in as much food and as little exercise as possible before they go back to the dreaded routine!

I find that when I have a bad day of eating or I take an unscheduled day off from exercise, I feel much more relaxed and better physically when I start right back into it the next day. The less time you allow your body to ingest junk and be a still life vegetable, the quicker it will bounce back and react to what you want it to do.

So again I ask…Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?

Feel free to check out my blog: http://berniland.blogspot.com/2011/08/why-put-off-till-tomorrow-what-you-can.html

Replies

• countrygirl_717
    Options
    Excellent insight on this topic. It's something I've been working hard at lately. Usually I would do the same thing - wait till Monday, then gorge myself in crap food until then. 'Getting in one last thing'. This time, I have my cheat meals and such, but its right back at the ball game for the next snack/meal. I've seen great results, and haven't felt deprived, as I still get my little treats here and there. But no entire weekends/weeks of eating crap, waiting for Monday!
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Something we can all relate to.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Why put off till tomorrow what I can put off until the next day?
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    So, true! I am also guilty of this one time and time again! But, I've learned the lesson!

Take today for example... started off well, but I've turned into a crap-snacking machine all afternoon! I'm not even going to wait until tomorrow: starting right now, I will finish off the night well and be right back on track! By stopping RIGHT NOW I can still be at a calorie deficit for the day instead of a surplus! :wink:
  • bgelliott
    Options
    Why put off till tomorrow what I can put off until the next day?

Aaah, your glass is half empty isn't it! Good luck with your results! :-)
  • bgelliott
    Options
    So, true! I am also guilty of this one time and time again! But, I've learned the lesson!

Take today for example... started off well, but I've turned into a crap-snacking machine all afternoon! I'm not even going to wait until tomorrow: starting right now, I will finish off the night well and be right back on track! By stopping RIGHT NOW I can still be at a calorie deficit for the day instead of a surplus! :wink:

Yay....I'm proud of you