Athens Mini Fillo Shells, how do YOU fill 'em?

Options
ShelbyLB
ShelbyLB Posts: 431
I recently discovered the mini shells at the grocery store..and at 10 calories a piece, I just KNOW there is a delicious filling I can be adding to make a super-low-calorie snack!!

People have told me they simply add pudding, cool whip, melted cheese, tuna, etc (NOT all together, silly...)

Do you use the shells?? If so, whats your favorite way to eat them??

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Sautee some spinach and garlic up in a little olive oil, toss in some diced tomatoes... stuff those little shells, pop some goat cheese on top, bake for 5 minutes. Scrumpdiddlyumptious.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    cook ground turkey w/ a pinch of roasted sesame seed oil and some ginger and some green onions and whatever else you wanna add. (kinda like a spring roll)

chicken salad

Ummmm..... I'm thinking. I'll post more!
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    im a HUGE spanakopita fan. im actually making some this week. i would make the filling and fill the cups that way! i dont use the shells but same result in taste. happy eating:smile:
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea they were so low cal! Im gonna have to do some experimentation!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    my family likes those with seafood salad in them!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Sautee some spinach and garlic up in a little olive oil, toss in some diced tomatoes... stuff those little shells, pop some goat cheese on top, bake for 5 minutes. Scrumpdiddlyumptious.

Yum. This sounds good!
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea they were so low cal! Im gonna have to do some experimentation!

Neither did I, but I suppose that is because I always brushed tons of BUTTER on it when making things with phyllo!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try those! Mini tacos? I'm not sure where shells are at on tacos, but i will find out tonight.
  • ShelbyLB
    Options
    YUMMM...all of these sound delish!!! Especially the spinach idea....I"m a huge spinach fan!!! will be trying asap!! :D
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    They're great filled with low-fat chicken salad!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered the mini shells at the grocery store..and at 10 calories a piece, I just KNOW there is a delicious filling I can be adding to make a super-low-calorie snack!!

People have told me they simply add pudding, cool whip, melted cheese, tuna, etc (NOT all together, silly...)

They are only 10 calories a piece?!!!!??? I just automatically figured they were full of calories. Thanks so much for posting about them. I am definitely going to buy some..... and use some of the ideas for fillings posted here.... Woo hoo! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • ShelbyLB
    Options

They are only 10 calories a piece?!!!!??? I just automatically figured they were full of calories. Thanks so much for posting about them. I am definitely going to buy some..... and use some of the ideas for fillings posted here.... Woo hoo! :laugh: :flowerforyou:

YES I couldn't believe it either!!!! They are delish even by themselves..:) I found another recipe for them at Hungry Girl...PECAN PIE BITES!!!!
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/show/2028
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    strawberry and couple blueberries, top with fat free cool whip.
  • ShelbyLB
    Options
    strawberry and couple blueberries, top with fat free cool whip.

See, a simple berry/cook whip combination would be delish too...gosh these little things are so versatile! :D
  • Nikki206
    Nikki206 Posts: 69
    Options
    I am so excited! We are having a healthy food potluck at work soon and these can make some great H'orderves! Thanks for the idea! Can't wait to buy them and start experimenting! =)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Found a couple fillings on their website:

avacodo and crab
    pistachios, beets and goat cheese
    brie w/ raspberries or fig
    chicken and pico
    chipolte shrimp
    chicken florentine
    deviled eggs (blended in processor)
    green eggs and ham for breakfast shells
    cottage cheese and fruit
    mozzarella, cucumber, tomato and basil
    mushrooms
    black beans and salsa
    tuna and hummus

I could go on and on.......
  • Lesliecs
    Options
    Founds this recipe on the Athens site..... don't know the calories, but it could be adjusted to lower them, I'm sure. I love Quiche.... this sounds so good!

QUICK MINI QUICHE

Ingredients
    15 Athens® Mini Phyllo Shells
    1 egg
    1/2 cup evaporated milk or 1/2 & 1/2 cream
    1/4 teaspoon each: basil, salt, garlic and parsley
    1/8 teaspoon white pepper or cayenne
    1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
    1/3 cup cooked crumbled bacon
    2 Tbsp. each: minced onion and red bell pepper

Lightly beat together egg, milk and seasonings. Into each Mini Shell place 1 teaspoon of cheese, 1/2 teaspoon bacon and 1/4 teaspoon each onion and pepper. Pour 1 teaspoon egg/milk mixture into Mini Shells. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 12-15 minutes.

Makes 15 Appetizers
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I found an awesome recipe on here for phylo shells, nutella, and bananas. SOOO good. Put a spoon of nutella in each one, a slice of banana and nuke for 30 seconds. Addictive! Only make what you plan to eat!!!*LOL*

Shannon
  • Lesliecs
    Options
    I found an awesome recipe on here for phylo shells, nutella, and bananas. SOOO good. Put a spoon of nutella in each one, a slice of banana and nuke for 30 seconds. Addictive! Only make what you plan to eat!!!*LOL*

Shannon

Yum! That sounds delicious! I just bought some shells today and can't wait to try them out!