Who has read the book Skinny B***h?!?! I had to STOP!!!

Options
I bought the book Skinny ***** and I am about half way through but I THINK I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!! It seems like it is filled with a bunch of BS!!!! Like the fasting....it goes against everything MFP teaches you! Some things have really hit home but the bad is outweighing the good right now Thoughts from anyone else....just trying to seperate fact from crazy-fiction!

Thanks, MFP Friends!

Replies

• dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was so appalled by the language in the book, I took it back. I got it as a Christmas gift and was like "Are you kidding me?? I don't have to take this."

Ugh.. no thanks! You are definitely not the only one who isn't a fan!!

Ang
  • jenellemerry
    Options
    I brought the book. Read a few chapters. I couldn't get past the chapter about how animals are slain for food. It grossed me out and I didn't eat meat for a week ! Also, I think the book is based on a vegan lifestyle, which I am not a fan of. A waste of money.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have never read it for various reasons - one of which being that I don't like their reliance on processed foods. If you would like a more reasonable book, you could try The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.
  • fitness_superstar
    Options
    I had wanted to get the book, but now, after just those couple comments, I never want to get it.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Some people might not be a fan of the language or tone of the book, but it's full of good information that you can fact-check for yourself on MANY science and medical sites.

~signed,
    Your Nutritionist, who just happens to be vegan.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I brought the book. Read a few chapters. I couldn't get past the chapter about how animals are slain for food. It grossed me out and I didn't eat meat for a week ! Also, I think the book is based on a vegan lifestyle, which I am not a fan of. A waste of money.

Well, that was one reason why they wrote it - show how animals are slaughtered to at least get the knowledge out there. Though, as I said, I haven't read it so I don't know exactly what they say.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book myself so I don't know what it says about fasting. However, fasting is not 'deadly' or a 'metabolism killer' as MFP will lead you to believe (and may I add that it does so by default and not specifically 'do not fast')... Surely, do not take my or the book's word for it. Just do your research and then decide if it is something for you. It's good that you question theories, so don't take MFP as the Gospel either.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I have not read the book myself so I don't know what it says about fasting. However, fasting is not 'deadly' or a 'metabolism killer' as MFP will lead you to believe (and may I add that it does so by default and not specifically 'do not fast')... Surely, do not take my or the book's word for it. Just do your research and then decide if it is something for you. It's good that you question theories, so don't take MFP as the Gospel either.

Good point.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I bought the book Skinny ***** and I am about half way through but I THINK I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!! It seems like it is filled with a bunch of BS!!!! Like the fasting....it goes against everything MFP teaches you! Some things have really hit home but the bad is outweighing the good right now Thoughts from anyone else....just trying to seperate fact from crazy-fiction!

Thanks, MFP Friends!

I didn't read the book, but I did heard reviews of it. That book speaks to a specific demographic who might listen to that tone and attitude. Just like Bill Clinton's change to a plant based diet will speak to another demographic.

The part about fasting. Well, I am reading a book called the Pleasure Trap and it also talks about fasting. It is used for those who are so far gone and they need severe help in reclaiming their natural sensitivity, so I believe it has its place. I didn't think that way before so please keep an open mind and investigate more.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a fun and informative read.

They have good points (vegan eating is awesome), bad points (junk food isn't bad for you if it's vegan), and everything in between (soda is liquid satan)...

I just took what I wanted to take from the book, and left what I disagreed with alone. It's not written by experts, but it is full of interesting facts (and, okay, some "facts".).
  • pjgjnfl
    pjgjnfl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Some people might not be a fan of the language or tone of the book, but it's full of good information that you can fact-check for yourself on MANY science and medical sites.

~signed,

Thank goodness for YOUR quote. Language is subjective... it's written to be "engaging" and "direct"... and it is that. The science quoted is real - and is backed up many times over.

Meat is making us sicker and sicker and fatter and fatter. The stats are pretty clear.

If we ate a BIT of meat with a plate full of veggies and whole grains... we'd be fine. But we don't. We throw a slab of meat on a plate and decorate it with a few green beans (with bacon) and mashed potatoes.... then wonder why we are the way we are.

Like what it says or not - the book is filled with facts... and opinion... and it was a huge confirmation for me.

Yes... I'm vegan... and it's the best thing I've ever done. Haven't eaten pigs or cows since 1996... then went vegetarian... then went vegan... and this is by far the best (FOR ME) yet.

It's sad - that someone posted here "I read how the animals were treated and I didn't eat meat for a week"... too bad it didn't have a bigger / longer lasting impact. The reality is - our consumption of meat and the way it's produced is not sustainable. Period.

And it's not healthy. Not at the volume we consume on average.

33 percent of US is obese... that doesn't come from brussels sprouts.

And obesity is a much larger problem than unemployment.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The book is directed at people who already have disordered eating and are seeking to justify it by providing a couple of good reasons for it--like not killing creatures for food, and maintaining a relatively low body weight--and they obscure those good reasons in the process of pursuing a narrowly focused book franchise.

That said, a vegan diet is terrific for your health and the health of everything around you. The small-minded *****es (their word, not mine) who wrote the book are only presenting another obstacle to those very basic and healthy realizations.

I hope you got your money back.
  • bybybelly
    Options
    I was appalled by the language. I am no Saint but there are certains words even I won't use. But the meat chapter was profound and I get it and the hormones in Milk....feel guilty about giving my girls dairy now b/c I don't want them sprouting boobs at 6 years old. Just confused and wasn't sure I wanted to finish the read. Thanks for the insight, friends!
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I literally JUST read it, cover to cover. (I'm a very fast reader and it's written so simplistically). I knew a lot of the facts inside (not that I'm claiming to know it all by any means), but upon completion, I'm still unsure of how I'm processing it. I've read/seen some conflicting facts (see: Fat Head) and am now just trying to mentally sift.

I've already become a vegetarian several years ago and would never return to eating meat. I do, however, definitely have an addiction (practically) to cheese. and to give that up would be rough, for me. I already eat pretty vegan in terms of what I consume, but I wouldn't be averse to cutting out eggs... or other dairy. Other than cheese. It's the cheese that gets me.
  • cmsiemsen
    Options
    I thought it was a fun and informative read.

They have good points (vegan eating is awesome), bad points (junk food isn't bad for you if it's vegan), and everything in between (soda is liquid satan)...

I just took what I wanted to take from the book, and left what I disagreed with alone. It's not written by experts, but it is full of interesting facts (and, okay, some "facts".).

I too found it fun. Then again, I'm not offended by the language and have already made most of the basic steps towards health that they discuss (other than the no-cheese).
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    QUOTES NOT WORKING
    "I didn't read the book, but I did heard reviews of it. That book speaks to a specific demographic who might listen to that tone and attitude. Just like Bill Clinton's change to a plant based diet will speak to another demographic.

The part about fasting. Well, I am reading a book called the Pleasure Trap and it also talks about fasting. It is used for those who are so far gone and they need severe help in reclaiming their natural sensitivity, so I believe it has its place. I didn't think that way before so please keep an open mind and investigate more.
    [/quote]
    END OF QUOTE

I recently just finished "The Pleasure Trap" as well. It changed my whole opinion about fasting. He made some very good points that sound logical and practical.

As for the person who couldn't give up cheese, I am the example that it can be done. After watching the movie, "Forks Over Knives", my husband and I instantly changed over to a whole foods plant based diet, cold turkey, so to speak. I thought giving up cheese would be hard, but after a few days and some great substitutes (even natural ones like ground raw cashews and nutritional yeast), I no longer craved it. I was so addicted to cheese products that I was binging and eating large meals to the point of frequent discomfort. Now, I am thrilled to have total control over how much I eat. I could go on and on and list the improvements in our health over the last 2 months, but that would make this post incredibly long.

Do your research, and by all means, read both sides of the arguments. Read studies. See who wrote them and who funded them. Education may be the tool to save your own life.
  • verair
    verair Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I read about half of the book and I didn't like. I wasn't offended by the language or anything (actually I found it amusing). The problem for me was that the book was WAY too pushy. It bashed pretty much every food industry EXCEPT the soy industry. It also pointed out a lot of problems with believing in government food acgency but I had to ask myself "then who can I believe? and why should I believe YOU?"

To me the whole thing felt like PROPAGANDA. It only showed one side of the argument (especially when it came to eating meat). Or maybe it just wasn't what I expected.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    I was appalled by the language. I am no Saint but there are certains words even I won't use. But the meat chapter was profound and I get it and the hormones in Milk....feel guilty about giving my girls dairy now b/c I don't want them sprouting boobs at 6 years old. Just confused and wasn't sure I wanted to finish the read. Thanks for the insight, friends!

The book is called skinny *****. It has a 'swear word' in the title, did it surprise you there would be more inside the book?
  • cmsiemsen
    Options
    I read about half of the book and I didn't like. I wasn't oftened by the language or anything (actually I found it amusing). The problem for me was that the book was WAY too pushy. It bashed pretty much every food industry EXCEPT the soy industry. It also pointed out a lot of problems with believing in government food acgency but I had to ask myself "then who can I believe? and why should I believe YOU?"

To me the whole thing felt like PROPAGANDA. It only showed one side of the argument (especially when it came to eating meat). Or maybe it just wasn't what I expected.

In the end, they tell you not even to take their word for it and do your won research on top of it... If you only read half, it does seem skewed. It doesn't ban the organic farming industry and that sort of produce.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

~signed,

33 percent of US is obese... that doesn't come from brussels sprouts.

I don't think it's from boneless skinless chicken breasts either. Excess processed carbs are much more likely to be the culprit, IMO.