Really that much water???

Options
ktmccorkell
ktmccorkell Posts: 79 Member
I heard somewhere that you are suppose to drink half your weight (in ounces) of water. I really do like drinking water and I have no problem drinking 8-10 glasses a day, but at 292 lbs that would be 18 glasses a day. I just don't know if that can be done or if that's really that good for you???

Replies

• StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you are really working out a lot or losing at a high rate the more water you drink the better you'll flush your system. When I drink 12-14 cups I do well if I do less not so much.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I drank 22 cups yesterday. It can be done, and frankly I feel gross if I'm even at 13.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of this before, but I'm not a fitness guru, though.

I usually stick to 8-10 glasses a day. Spread out through the whole day, it's not too hard to do. Maybe someone else could address your issue.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    "The Solution to Pollution is Dilution"

I drink a minimum of 1 full gallon of pure water per day...If I drink less, I start retaining water and I get a headache...It's good for you...Water has been replaced far too long by diet sodas, sugar free drink mixes and the like...Believe me, the more water you drink, the more your body will eventually crave it....Do yourself a favor and drink more water...*cheers*... :drinker:
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    No, there is no science behind any of it. Drink when you are thirsty.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Water is the essence of life, you can not have too much. The only time water has a small possibility of making you sick is if you are drinking tons of totally distilled water (only H's and O's). Most distilled water still has extras in it anyways so its very unlikely.

I regularly drink 20-30 cups a day and I still feel thirsty sometimes. So far today, I'm at 18 cups. Also remember 1 cup=8oz so if you drink a bottle of water, that can be 3 glasses right there, bam! I like 20oz mardis gras cups so every glass is 2.5cups.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    "The Solution to Pollution is Dilution"

I drink a minimum of 1 full gallon of pure water per day...If I drink less, I start retaining water and I get a headache...It's good for you...Water has been replaced far too long by diet sodas, sugar free drink mixes and the like...Believe me, the more water you drink, the more your body will eventually crave it....Do yourself a favor and drink more water...*cheers*... :drinker:

Love it! Sing it to me sister!
  • tacomom
    tacomom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was told to drink between 12 and 18 glasses of water a day. Seems like a lot and I have a hard time doing this but it can be done. I know you can get too much water so in the 12 to 18 glasses I was told to watch my urine. It should look like a light colored lemonade. If it was darker more water and clear too much water. Remember though the water is 8oz not a glass (I tended to consider my 16 or 20 oz cups as one glass). You also get water in teas, coffee, etc. Make sure you count that as well. I do work out at least 3 days a week and I know that those days I find myself hitting that water goal a lot easier! I hope this helps.
  • ChristalJo
    Options
    Just be careful not to drink too much water. And yes, you can do that. I had to cut my water consumption in half, because I was literally drinking about 30 bottles (20 oz size) a day...Because that is what I LIKE to drink and what I CRAVE and I am ALWAYS thirsty. Like I said, just be careful. It WILL strip the good stuff out of your system.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    That is correct m'dear. . It helps to flush your body of fat and toxins. . .keep your organs functioning at optimal capacity. . So rockin the water is a good thing.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My personal experience. I tried to drink half my body weight in ounces of water and got pretty close for about 2-3 weeks, but I still had to pee ALL THE TIME. At that point I did some research and I couldn't figure out where the water recommendation came from. Now all I drink is water and one can of pop a day, but I just drink when I'm thirsty and it comes out to about 6-8 glasses a day. I only force liquids if I'm planning on having alcohol in the evening.

If your urine is almost colorless and odorless you are hydrated in my opinion. I am glad I forced water for a few weeks though because I feel like it "reset" my thirst sensors. After years of being a pop only drinker I was used to drinking when I needed a "fizz" fix not thirst.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    http://www.asn-online.org/press/pdf/2008-Media/Water Study.pdf

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1583752/No-benefit-in-drinking-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day-scientists-say.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/04/02/us-water-health-idUSN0236679720080402

And the other idea about drinking a ton of water to "flush out toxins" or to "detoxify" is also a myth. In fact, there is research put there to show drinking large amounts of water may reduce the ability the kidneys have to be a filter for "toxins".

Drink when you are thirsty and you will be fine.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The British Medical Journal just published an article that claims to debunk the 8 glasses of water myth. I don't have a strong opinion on the issue, but it does appear to be pushed by large bottled water companies, which makes me wary. It reminds me of Corn Growers (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and Honey Producers trying to covince people of how healthy their products are.

Excerpt:
    Dr McCartney explains that “it says on the NHS Choices website, ‘Try to drink about six to eight glasses of water (or other fluids) a day to prevent dehydration’. This is not only nonsense, but is thoroughly debunked nonsense. There is no published scientific evidence to support these claims – we have known this since a review of the evidence carried out in 2002.”

The entire article:
    http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4280.extract
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    The British Medical Journal just published an article that claims to debunk the 8 glasses of water myth. I don't have a strong opinion on the issue, but it does appear to be pushed by large bottled water companies, which makes me wary. It reminds me of Corn Growers (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and Honey Producers trying to covince people of how healthy their products are.

Excerpt:
    Dr McCartney explains that “it says on the NHS Choices website, ‘Try to drink about six to eight glasses of water (or other fluids) a day to prevent dehydration’. This is not only nonsense, but is thoroughly debunked nonsense. There is no published scientific evidence to support these claims – we have known this since a review of the evidence carried out in 2002.”

The entire article:
    http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4280.extract

Ah, someone who agrees with the science. Thank you. :smile:
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I keepa1.5 L bottle of water on me at all times. I usually refill it 3-4 times a day and on the days I have a hard work out I fill it 5-6 times. The only thing that sucks is constantly being in the bathroom! :-) Not good for when you have to be running errands and have to pee every 45 minutes! But well worth it!
  • everettvg
    Options
    If you get a gal. jug and put 1 decalf tea bag in it you will be suprised how much water you can drink. Also I have a large drink bottle and always keep it in your sight. I thought the same thing till I really got going and it is easier than you think!
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Remember most drinking cups are 16-20 ounces. 292 / 2 = 146 ounces. If you're drinking out of a 20 ounce glass, that's only 7.3 glasses per day. You can drink that easily!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Water is the essence of life, you can not have too much. The only time water has a small possibility of making you sick is if you are drinking tons of totally distilled water (only H's and O's). Most distilled water still has extras in it anyways so its very unlikely.

I regularly drink 20-30 cups a day and I still feel thirsty sometimes. So far today, I'm at 18 cups. Also remember 1 cup=8oz so if you drink a bottle of water, that can be 3 glasses right there, bam! I like 20oz mardis gras cups so every glass is 2.5cups.

You actually can have too much water. It's a condition called hyper-hydration/water intoxication. Most normal, active adults don't have a concern though. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests in which individuals attempt to consume large amounts of water, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet excessive amounts of fluid are still consumed
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm at 16 8oz. cups of water already today and I haven't even worked out. I go to the bathroom once ever 2.5 hours or so. Some people (me) need lots and lots of water, and our bodies adjust to the intake. I typically drink about 24oz of water without even thinking twice. Next thing I know my cup is empty again!

Start small and built your way up to what is right for your body. Most important thing is to test it out and find what works best for you.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    For the science loving nay sayers:

Feel Fuller
    According to the Mayo Clinic, foods that are low in energy density make individuals feel as full as foods that are higher. For example, a piece of cake will take up the same physical space as a stack of celery, and both foods will occupy the same amount of space in the stomach. Because of the high water content of celery, however, it has far fewer calories than cake. Fruits and vegetables in general tend to have a lower energy density because they contain more water. A grapefruit, states the Mayo Clinic, is made up of 90 percent water, and half a grapefruit only contains 38 calories. Sticking to foods with high water content, like carrots, which contain 88 percent water, is a better way to control hunger than limiting portions of foods that contain lower water content.

Metabolic Benefits
    In a study published by Obesity Magazine, 48 middle-aged men and women were divided into two groups of 24. Researchers assigned both groups a diet in which their calories were restricted, but only one group was instructed to consume 16 ounces of water before eating every meal. The individuals in the group drinking the water lost 44 percent more weight overall than the group that was not drinking water before each meal. Because both groups were eating the same calorie-restricted diet, the water group's additional weight loss may lead to more information about the metabolic effects of water and whether or not speeding of the metabolic rate occurs when drinking water before a meal.