Quandary ... please help

Options
I first left the USA in September and I weighed 192lbs. After two weeks in the UK, I bought a gym membership because having an unused gym-membership that I have to pay for is a chronic habit of mine. I weighed myself on the mechanical scale and it read 189.5lbs. Not surprising, because I was walking a lot more, water-weight loss. Whatever.

Mid-November I noticed my clothing was beginning to feel loose (even after I pulled them out of the dryer). That was three weeks ago: I went to the gym thinking it'd be a good idea to weigh myself. There were now two scales there, but the digital one was broken, so I climbed aboard the older but presumably accurate mechanical scale (the club doesn't have a medical one like what I use back at home). To my shock, it said that I had lost almost 6.5lbs since my last weigh-in! Thinking back to how much I had increased my activity level and that I was eating less (because everything in the UK is so danged expensive and I walk everywhere), I took this as good news and plowed ahead. It's what motivated me to get back with MFP and start recording my cals.

I weigh in once a week, so the mechanical scale has read:
182.0-November 19
179.3-november 25
177.6-december 2

I got to the club this morning, and the electronic scale was repaired, but the old scale was still there as well. I climbed onto the one I have been using, and it read

174.1-december 8

I thought, hmm... a bit steep, so I thought I'd try the electronic scale. To my horror (HORROR), it read:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: 181lbs... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

There is a 7lbs discrepancy between the two scales! So I went out and stormed on the stair-climber for 30min and then lifted weights because I was very frustrated. 11lbs down since September with only two weeks of really trying is awesome, but when you thought you were at 14lbs down already, thinking that it might only be 11lbs is a real blow.

What should I do? I am so deflated right now.. or inflated because I might be fatter than I think I am. :cry: :frown: :grumble: :noway:

Replies

• pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I first left the USA in September and I weighed 192lbs. After two weeks in the UK, I bought a gym membership because having an unused gym-membership that I have to pay for is a chronic habit of mine. I weighed myself on the mechanical scale and it read 189.5lbs. Not surprising, because I was walking a lot more, water-weight loss. Whatever.

Mid-November I noticed my clothing was beginning to feel loose (even after I pulled them out of the dryer). That was three weeks ago: I went to the gym thinking it'd be a good idea to weigh myself. There were now two scales there, but the digital one was broken, so I climbed aboard the older but presumably accurate mechanical scale (the club doesn't have a medical one like what I use back at home). To my shock, it said that I had lost almost 6.5lbs since my last weigh-in! Thinking back to how much I had increased my activity level and that I was eating less (because everything in the UK is so danged expensive and I walk everywhere), I took this as good news and plowed ahead. It's what motivated me to get back with MFP and start recording my cals.

I weigh in once a week, so the mechanical scale has read:
    182.0-November 19
    179.3-november 25
    177.6-december 2

I got to the club this morning, and the electronic scale was repaired, but the old scale was still there as well. I climbed onto the one I have been using, and it read

174.1-december 8

I thought, hmm... a bit steep, so I thought I'd try the electronic scale. To my horror (HORROR), it read:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: 181lbs... :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

There is a 7lbs discrepancy between the two scales! So I went out and stormed on the stair-climber for 30min and then lifted weights because I was very frustrated. 11lbs down since September with only two weeks of really trying is awesome, but when you thought you were at 14lbs down already, thinking that it might only be 11lbs is a real blow.

What should I do? I am so deflated right now.. or inflated because I might be fatter than I think I am. :cry: :frown: :grumble: :noway:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    So... your clothes fit better. The scale is going down (no two scales are EVER going to weigh you the same, heck my scale doesn't weigh me the same if I step on it three times in a row). Where's the problem?

Stick with one scale! Pick one or the other, and stick with it! You know the pounds are coming off, you know your clothing fits better. You know you are doing the right things, be proud of what you've accomplished, with and without trying. Don't let a scale rule your feelings!
  • pixiestick
    Options
    Any thoughts on which one I should "stick with"?
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the one you first used. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is how I think about it.

Either way-you did lose 15 pounds. Does it really matter if you were 190 or 250??? the 15 pounds are still GONE!!!

WOOT WOOT!!!

Home scales are used by us alone. In the gym many ppl get on and off, and sometimes kids play on them. The calibration is not really good.....and face it most gyms are NOT going to pay a mechanic to come calibrate their 20 yr old scale.

At home I weigh 143 at the doctors office I weigh 145...I dont care......my starting weight at the dr office was 2 pounds higher, too! Either way I have lost 25 pounds and fit in my size 10's

SO please CELEBRATE the 15 pound weight loss you have worked for!!
    0002032C.gif
  • jenrobi
    Options
    Stick with only one scale, if you can. Better yet, buy a measuring tape and stick to that. Weight is such a finnicky thing. I can fluctuate 4 pounds in just one day depending on activity, bathroom, water weight, milk weight (I am breastfeeding).

What is most important is that you FEEL better. Your clothes are fitting better and you probably are noticing more tone. As a lifetime weight loser/gainer, I know the reliance on the scale is pinnacle. However, I have purposely not purchased a scale in my home. It stresses me out more than it helps me. I go to my mom's once a week and weigh myself there. I go by how i feel more than anything.

I think you're doing great. Weight yourself on one scale and go by that. FOr all you know the digital scale could be calibrated wrong now but was fine before. You can always purchase your own scale to make sure it is always working and calibrated properly.
  • cookie23
    Options
    stay away from the scale!!!! Only weigh yourself every 10 days or so. You should be able to tell if youre losing weight by your clothes, especially your underwear. THere is nothing more derailing than the scale. Remember, if you work out you may be turning fat into muscle which may actually add weight though you're losing inches.

Stay with your exercise program and eventually you won't be thinking of making a concious effort to go and do it- it will just be something you automatically do like brushing your teeth. I went through a year of 5 days religiously at the gym without altering my eating. All that did was maintain my weight (about 65 pounds overweight). Once I gave up the gym, I gained another 35 lbs.

Through this site I finally have been able to lose weight and I'm not on a diet. I am more concious about what goes into my body and SOOOO much more aware of how many calories are in food and what constitutes a portion. I started mfp in late October and have lost 28 lbs so far. They ease of this site makes it so easy by calculating everything for you. If you need tips on how to find satisfying foods that will fit your calorie count and keep you not hungry, feel free to friend me. Stay strong:smile:
  • pixiestick
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. I feel a lot better now. I spoke with a trainer at the gym and she said that the mechanical scale is more accurate than the electrical one. So that makes me feel better too.

I think (unless I shouldn't) that I will weigh myself on the medical scale when I go home for the holidays so that I have an actually verifiably accurate weight. I know what I weighed before I came to the UK, so that should help.
  • susacoco
    susacoco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we should begin to think of our scales as a friend to keep in
    touch with every couple of weeks........the kind of friend that will give you
    a heads up if we have been out of control.....or a thumbs up if we have
    been taking care of ourselves!
  • pixiestick
    Options
    I like that metaphor. :wink: