weight loss: 80% eating habits 20% exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yep! I heard 10% sleep, 30% exercise, and 70% eating healthy. :) I follow that. And it's done wonders.

Just reread my post.

10/20/70... If I wanted to add correctly. :grumble:
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I was reading one of my favorite weight loss blogs and the author said someting that really got my attention. Weight loss is achieved by 80% eating habits and 20% exercise.

Before I read this I was an exercise freak but i still ate what I wanted... as long as it came in under my calorie goal. and if i over ate... i just exercised it off. I did this for most of the summer, it was kind of difficult but i did my best and I lost 10 pounds.

But after I read that, i thought "i need to do something" so i decided to embark on clean eating. I have been clean eating for about a week and now calorie counting is waaaaay easier. but i've kind of slacked off on my exercise routines. like i haven't worked out in a week.

So what are your thoughts on this theory. Do you agree? Disagree? Have you had any experiences like this?

100% agree! I've lost my weight through diet and eating healthy. I only excercise 2 hours a week (two 1-hour Zumba classes). When I was focusing on working out daily, I barely lost any weight. Excercise Vs. Diet? Diet wins, hands down!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I agree, and every doctor and nutritionist I've ever met (I'm an RN) say the same thing, although the percentages they state sometimes vary. I've heard anywhere from 85% to 95% diet and 5% to 15% exercise depending on who I ask.

I think it's very important to note that everytime I've seen two pairs of people who lost the same amount of weight, where one exercises and eats right compared to someone who does diet alone, the person who also exercises LOOKS like they've lost a lot more :)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I agree, and every doctor and nutritionist I've ever met (I'm an RN) say the same thing, although the percentages they state sometimes vary. I've heard anywhere from 85% to 95% diet and 5% to 15% exercise depending on who I ask.

I think it's very important to note that everytime I've seen two pairs of people who lost the same amount of weight, where one exercises and eats right compared to someone who does diet alone, the person who also exercises LOOKS like they've lost a lot more :)

Excercise is very important to your health, but I don't think it's a huge factor in losing weight. Excercise can help tone you up.
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    Bump-
    Please continue to discuss! I'm learning so much.

I just realized this week that the working out and still eating pretty much what I wanted (though under my calorie goal for the day) is a load of BS. I need to change what I'm eating.

Thanks all of you -- all of you are helping to ingrain this into my stubborn rock of a head. :happy:
  • diiiimond
    diiiimond Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump-
    Please continue to discuss! I'm learning so much.

I just realized this week that the working out and still eating pretty much what I wanted (though under my calorie goal for the day) is a load of BS. I need to change what I'm eating.

Thanks all of you -- all of you are helping to ingrain this into my stubborn rock of a head. :happy:

yes... the same lesson i had to learn. i pretty much wasted the summer being hardheaded. but im excited to what changes in my diet does for my body!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    There is an old saying around the fitness world......"You can't out-train a bad diet."

I've found it to be very true.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go go completely against the grain and disagree with this.

I think it depends on the person.

My sister was over 2 stone overweight a year and a half ago. She joined a gym and worked out hard for at least an hour every day without fail. She didn't have a ****ty diet but she had a very average one with plenty of good and bad in there. And she still does. her eating habits have not and did not change one little bit. She just got fit and worked for it. She looks incredible now. All through exercise.

That's the kind of weight loss that lasts. She doesn't have to watch what she eats and still gets to look good.
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been concentrating this go around on my eating and less on exercising. I started 5 wks ago and I walked the first few wks 4-5 nights aweek for an hr each and then stopped and I'm still lossing. Id rather concentrate on wat I'm puttin into my body than have to worry about what I have to work off. Seems to be working so far.
  • esferra
    esferra Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for this info everyone! I'm pretty new to this site, and am just trying to get to a better place physically and mentally. I try to burn around 500 calories with cardio every other day, and while I usually end up under my calorie goal, the food that I'm eating is still not very good (many snacks of cookies, ice cream, etc). With this information, I feel motivated to eat healthier!
  • jenblowsbubblez
    jenblowsbubblez Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love this!!! reading it has me ,, taking a step another way i think. I started out on mfp doing tons of exercise and i just could not eat all these darn calories,, and i really wasn't losing a whole lot. I think i'm going to start exercising a little less and watch my diet more!! bc i'm not far from my goal its just a few spots on me that are driving me crazy. THANKS GUYS!!!
  • jenblowsbubblez
    jenblowsbubblez Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump bump by the way!!!
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Yes! I agree as well :)