Carb/Protein/Fat Ratio

Options
Hey all-

I know that everone is different, but I am trying to find the right ratio for me. I was wondering everyone's opinion?

I currently have mine set at 50/20/30 and just don't know if this is accurate for me. I do very little exercise, so my consuption is all I am trying to adjust.

PLMK your opinion.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet, so this ratio may not work for you.
    10% carbs/50% fat/40% protein
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm at 45%carbs, 35% protein and 15% fat. I think 20% protein is too low. aim for about 0.5 to 1 gm of protein per lb. also exercise. lol 50/30/20 is a really good ratio. i keep my carbs a bit lower because i'm a bit more sensitive to them. but like you said, everyone's different.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    i do 40protein, 30 carb and 30 fat. it's working for me so far.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I go for about 50-55% of my diet coming from carbs and the rest from protein and fat.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 35/35/30
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I notice too that I tend to go over on protein most days. With 20% protein, right now I get 66 grams alloted to me...and I tend to eat around 85 on average. Some days are in 60's while others are closer to 100 grams.

It's interesting how everyone is so different!!!

Is there truly a way to know, based on body style, weight, height, etc what is the right ratio for you? Is it different if you exercise? Cardio? Weight?

So many questions....LOL
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I went for 50/25/25 protein/carb/fat.

That's based on some recommendations I've had from doctors. One doc, in particular, when we were discussing the need for carbs, said "You're not planning on running any marathons, are you?"

"No."

"Well, then, you don't need carbs."

He went on to say that that was an exaggeration but "not by much".

My diet worked well for me (95 pounds in 7 months).

Now that I'm running (half marathon on Sunday and marathon in December), I've upped my carbs to 50% and dropped my protein to 25%. My reason for that is that the Runner's World book "Road Racing" recommends those percentages for runners.

Note the "for runners". Runner's World doesn't have a recommendation for non-runners but I suspect that the nutritional demands for someone trying to lose weight and exercising moderately are different than a person who's in maintenance and running > 20 miles per week.

I don't know what "the answer" is (and if I said I did, I'd hope that you wouldn't believe me!) but it seems that no one tells you that you need to cut back on your protein "because all of that protein causes obesity, diabetes, etc." whereas those are common comments about carbs (say that three time quickly…)

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you're not exercising, then go for 35/35/30 as a minimum, but try to get closer to 50/25/25 if you can. The most important thing is to find a ratio you can manage so that you can stick with it long term... you want to change your eating habits, not diet.
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    ATT949, what great information you have given me. It's always interesting what doctor's have to say about it. I will check with my doc next time I go for a checkup.

jacksonpt, thanks for the advice. I think I am going to try for 40/30/30 for a bit and see if it works for me. I tend to never go over on carbs, so less carbs is no big deal to me.