new to site

Options
I recently realized that I am as heavy as I was when I was pregnant with my son......he is going to be four. I was a size 4 when I got pregnant and could eat anything. I realize it is not realistic to be a size four again but I would love to lose 40 pounds and feel good about myself again. I just have never had to watch what I eat and I am really having a hard time. Any advice???

Thanks

Replies

• shannacharron
    Options
    I recently realized that I am as heavy as I was when I was pregnant with my son......he is going to be four. I was a size 4 when I got pregnant and could eat anything. I realize it is not realistic to be a size four again but I would love to lose 40 pounds and feel good about myself again. I just have never had to watch what I eat and I am really having a hard time. Any advice???

Thanks
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Just take 1 day at a time. Be realistic in your goals and understand that you'll fall off the wagon occasionally so don't quit if that happens just start over again. Things out of your control and something you will be battling all of the tie are will power (I fight with mine daily) and that down time you have to yourself when the kids are in bed and the need to treat yourself with a sweet or big glass of wine.

Good Luck and hang in there
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Eat right, exercise and self control. You can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany Posts: 34
    Options
    By the way you can be size 4 again.

I gained weight with my 2nd pregnancy, started lifting free weights and 6 weeks later went down 3 sizes. This is without diet or cardio.

My girlfriend had a baby 2 years ago and ate a few too many whoppers at Burger King. She gained 65 pounds and is only 5 ft 4 inches. Needless to say she was several pounds bigger afterwards. She religously hit the weights and cardio and got back down to a size 4 in a few months.

Recently this year I made some poor eating choices at lunch time. I managed to go up almost a size in my clothing despite working out each day for 1 1/2 hours. I was very frustrated. I am 38 and just attributed to getting older. However, I decided to stop blaming age and try tracking my calories. This is what my girlfriend did when she lost weight. Since December 4th, I am down 7 pounds which is more than I was even trying to lose when I got on this site.

Start by doing a 10 minute cardio in the morning, then 1/2 free weights. At night do a 10 minute cardio session before dinner and another 10 minute session after dinner. This should get you on your way. Remember to measure yourself. With weights you do not lose a tremendous amount of weight at first because you are turning the fat to muscle; however, it is a great feeling to shrink. Once you start shrinking, you automatically want to eat better.

This website is great because if I eat over my calorie allotment for the day (which is very easy because I am 5 foot 2 inches and I like being 100 pounds) I simply exercise more. Let me know how you do. Remember to aim high. You can be whatever size you choose to be. It is a science. Remember to take your weight x 20% and then subtract 500 calories a day. That is what you should consume to lose 1 pound a week. Of course if you exercise you get those calories back. Try burning at least 250 calories a day and reduce your food intake by 250 a day. Reducing your calories by 500 a day often is difficult and can lead to failure because you are hungry.