HRM Calories burned???

Options
So today was my first day using my new BodyMedia HRM. I wore it all day during work (I'm a radiation therapist) and just took it off to download the info- It says I burned 2535 calories today- without doing any actual "working out." How can this be true? I don't know if I believe this...anyone else have a similar situation? It seems too good to be true...Thanks in advance!

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Your body burns calories all day regardless of working out...so if you wear the monitor all day, you're just getting a reading of what your body is consuming, but do not log this as exercise...
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    MFP areadly accounts for normal day activity. Thats why when you started your account it asks what kind of work you do. I wouldn't eat those exercise calories and would wear it when you are doing an actual workout as that is not counted into your normal days activity.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Is that the type of HRM meant to be worn all day? I know the BodyBugg is but I don't know about other kinds. Many others won't be accurate all day long because they aren't calibrated for that.

But yes we burn lots of calories all day long just sleeping, breathing, growing hair, digesting food etc. So that doesn't seem like an extremely high number.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You burn calories by just being alive. You should not count those calories that your HRM said you "burned" if you wear it all day, sorry to disappoint you. I don't know about anyone else but I only wear my HRM when I am working out to burn calories. Those I do count as exercise calories. The rest is just living- it'll count on the scale at the end of the week.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Make sure it is set up for your specs: height, weight, age, and gender.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Could be right. So then you subtract 500 calories from that (to lose a pound a week) and that should be your calorie goal (override what MFP suggests), right? Is that how those things work?
  • ama2414
    ama2414 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up for me everyone! I appreciate the responses!!