New to posting...had Gastric Bypass

wlsjules
wlsjules Posts: 11
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to posting here! I've been using myfitnesspal for a while and have finally decided to check out the boards!

I had Roux-en-y (Gastric Bypass) on June 4th and have lost 101 pounds so far. It's been a lot of adjustment and a lot of work. I'll be the first to tell you that having GBP surgery is NOT the easy way out!

I had many co-morbidities at 268 lbs and being only 5'4". I am doing and feeling so much better now and able to Live my Life! I'm a participant instead of a spectator.

Is there anyone else out there who has had GBP surgery?

Have a great day!

Jules

Replies

• Hello Everyone!

I'm new to posting here! I've been using myfitnesspal for a while and have finally decided to check out the boards!

I had Roux-en-y (Gastric Bypass) on June 4th and have lost 101 pounds so far. It's been a lot of adjustment and a lot of work. I'll be the first to tell you that having GBP surgery is NOT the easy way out!

I had many co-morbidities at 268 lbs and being only 5'4". I am doing and feeling so much better now and able to Live my Life! I'm a participant instead of a spectator.

Is there anyone else out there who has had GBP surgery?

Have a great day!

Jules
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Welcome :flowerforyou: Glad you to decided to check out the message board part of MFP:bigsmile:

I won't be much help in the sugery dept as I've not gone that route..but simply changed my eating and threw in alot of fitness.........:drinker: and water, lots and lots and lots of water.... I:heart: my WATER:blushing:

but.....I do recall several folks posting also looking for other members that have gone the surgery route.... to have folks to talk too:drinker:

Awesome to have taken off the excess weight on your body....I'm sure it thanks you for it everyday:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Congrats! I have a friend that will be going through it soon, but I have not. Good luck with everything & welcome to the boards! :flowerforyou:
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: The boards are great, huh? :bigsmile:
  • Thank you so much for your replies! I wasn't sure whether or not I would get a warm welcome. I haven't posted because I think this site is mainly non-surgical weightloss and thought I would be discriminated against.

A heart-felt thank you so much for proving me wrong!

I will post here more often.

Happy Day!

Jules:flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Most of us are pretty good about not judging others. We're all here for the same reason: to become healthier people! I hope you feel welcome!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Thank you so much for your replies! I wasn't sure whether or not I would get a warm welcome. I haven't posted because I think this site is mainly non-surgical weightloss and thought I would be discriminated against.

A heart-felt thank you so much for proving me wrong!

I will post here more often.

Happy Day!

Jules:flowerforyou:

I'd hope you wouldn't experience any hard feelings from anyone here about having gastric bypass. If it was doctor recommended, then it was obviously something to put you on the path to health.

Congrats on your weight loss and your new life!!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    I dont really view this website as a non surgical website because even if you have GBS you still have to watch what you eat and exercise also. I think this website works for anyone. Im glad that you decided to post because even people who have surgery need support also. I wouldnt expect surgery to be easy.

Connie
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Hey Jules, welcome!

I just recently signed up too. I am also a Gastric Baypass patient. I had mine in February 2002. I am almost 7 years out and have done great! But...here I am because I have gotten lazy with watching protein, portions, etc. and have put on about 20 pounds! I was 302 pounds at my highest before surgery and would like to get back down to 150 that I maintained for so long. It's nice to know someone else is out there. You're right GB is definitely not easy.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Kat
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I COMMEND you on posting!! I love that you are thinking about your food and exercising!!

I have seen ppl get the sx, then expect the smaller stomach to save them the rest of their life. Not so! 2 ppl I know have gained back 50 pounds +....Why? Because they didnt listen to the doctors about diet and exercise!!

I think you are beautiful and look forward to any info you can pass on!!
    0002013F.gif
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Hey Jules, welcome!

I just recently signed up too. I am also a Gastric Baypass patient. I had mine in February 2002. I am almost 7 years out and have done great! But...here I am because I have gotten lazy with watching protein, portions, etc. and have put on about 20 pounds! I was 302 pounds at my highest before surgery and would like to get back down to 150 that I maintained for so long. It's nice to know someone else is out there. You're right GB is definitely not easy.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Kat
    Hey Kat!:flowerforyou: Welcome to the boards and losing all that weight!:drinker:
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Hello there!! Bypass Surgery or not, we all are in the same boat. We still have to work hard to keep off the weight!! Congrats on over 100 pounds, that is amazing! Keep up the good work.

96946.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
This discussion has been closed.