Free weights training...

Options
Hi there, I'm a guy and I am currently trying to lose weight, my diet is fine however I haven't got into weight training properly.

I was wondering whether you folks could share your routines with me. I plan on doing weight training 3 days a week or so, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Would appreciate your advice, thanks in advance.

Replies

• nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    Biceps, Kickbacks, shoulder presses....squats and lunges...as many as i push about every hour every other day!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has lots of programs. You can even pick one based on gender, age and goal.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I do weights 3 days a week as well (and 3 days cardio). I do upper/lower body split.
    So it's Monday - upper, Wednesday - lower, Friday - upper, then
    Monday - lower, Wednesday - upper, Friday - lower
    and repeat.

upper consists of hitting the chest, shoulders, back, triceps biceps
    lower consists of hitting quads, hamstrings, calves, and abs
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a guy and I am currently trying to lose weight, my diet is fine however I haven't got into weight training properly.

I was wondering whether you folks could share your routines with me. I plan on doing weight training 3 days a week or so, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Would appreciate your advice, thanks in advance.

Beginner programs: Stronglifts 5x5 I've heard is popular with beginners. You'll get a ton of benefit from following a program that focuses on compound movements, Bench Press, Military Press, Squat, and Deadlift.

Before you actually start the program you definitely need to learn how to correctly perform the above four movements that I mentioned and you can grab videos for that offline. If you go to YouTube and search for one of the movements and include EliteFTS and / or Dave Tate in the search you'll catch how-to videos.

Then after you've done progression through that you can do something more advanced liked 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler or something like what I do that's in my signature.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has lots of programs. You can even pick one based on gender, age and goal.

Ditto; in the vein they will recommend mastering the Olympic Lifting moves; bench, squat and deadlift. I'd recommend coupling your education on weights from bodybuilding.com with watching videos on Youtube to learn correct form. That would be if you're going to a gym. If you join a gym, if at all possble, sprng for a trainer to learn proper form.

Good luck!
  • youknome
    youknome Posts: 63
    Options
    Wow, so many replies in a space of 20 minutes - I love this forum.

Thank you once again, I'm definitely going to check out Bodybuilding.com looks very promising.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Ditto; in the vein they will recommend mastering the Olympic Lifting moves; bench, squat and deadlift. I'd recommend coupling your education on weights from bodybuilding.com with watching videos on Youtube to learn correct form. That would be if you're going to a gym. If you join a gym, if at all possble, sprng for a trainer to learn proper form.

Good luck!

Go to sites like BB.Com, Tnation, Stronglifts, among others.
    Olympic lifts are more like Power Snatches, Power Cleans, while the bench press, back squat, and deadlift are more powerlofting movements that are competed in.