Stevia

Options
Hi all,
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this...I tried the liquid stevia in tea today and really liked it...no chemical taste like everything else I've tried. Does anyone else use this? Also anyone have any side effects from this?

Replies

• Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ooops looks like I accidently posted this twice...I tried to remove the last one but couldn't figure out how to.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to use either stevia or xylitol if I was going to use a sweetener. They're both herbal and as long as you get the organic/natural stuff, it's not bad for you at all. Xylitol tastes more like sugar, but it's more expensive and and takes a lot more to get it sweet - stevia doesn't take much at all! I use it every day.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I use it! I love it. I found regular, vanilla, english toffee and cinnamon and love them all.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I get a caramel one from the natural food store - goes GREAT in coffee!
  • OnCmommy
    OnCmommy Posts: 40
    Options
    I use it! I love it. I found regular, vanilla, english toffee and cinnamon and love them all.

Ooh! There are flavors?! That would be amazing in coffee :)
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    i use Truvia and Stevia in the Raw. i put it in greek unsweetened yogurt and in my tea. it tastes so good and it's good for you. From Wikipedia:

No evidence for stevia constituents causing cancer or birth defects has been found.[50][51]
    Other studies have shown stevia to improve insulin sensitivity in rats,[52] and possibly even to promote additional insulin production,[53] helping to reverse diabetes and metabolic syndrome.[54] Preliminary human studies suggest stevia can help reduce hypertension,[55] although another study has shown it to have no effect on hypertension.[56] Indeed, millions of Japanese have been using stevia for over thirty years with no reported or known harmful effects.[57] Similarly, stevia leaves have been used for centuries in South America, spanning multiple generations in ethnomedical tradition as a treatment for Diabetes mellitus type 2.[58]
    In 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) performed a thorough evaluation of recent experimental studies of stevioside and steviols conducted on animals and humans, and concluded "stevioside and rebaudioside A are not genotoxic in vitro or in vivo and that the genotoxicity of steviol and some of its oxidative derivatives in vitro is not expressed in vivo."[59] The report also found no evidence of carcinogenic activity.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time. I even made peach jam with it this weekend.
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    love it, have it in my coffee every day.
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    It's great! I have Sun Crystals and I have tried Truvia. I love it in my coffee and I only need half a packet it's so sweet.
  • carmelasergi
    carmelasergi Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use it everyday too. I love it!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I love Stevia. I buy an organic one from a health food store and it is EXPENSIVE but so delicious and use a smidgen.
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been searching for a good sweetener for so long. I went from Splenda to Agave to Truvia and now I just started using the stevia liquid and my quest is finally over!! I love it! I have the plain one for when I make fresh brewed iced tea and I got a chocolate flavored one for my coffee but I've also used it in smoothies, desserts and unsweetened almond milk. I can't wait to try some of the other flavors I've seen! As far as I've read so far, there are no side effects or risks associated with it. If I use too much I notice a bit of an aftertaste, but you really only need a couple of drops to get the sweetness.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all the replys so far! I had no idea there were flavors...I will definately have to look for those. The one I tried was Nu Naturals and its the clear plain one...but caramel sounds great for coffee! and vanilla too! I loove sugar and have tried to find an artificial sweetner that I liked and haven't found one til now. Is it supposed to better for you than splenda or aspartame?
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    Thank you to all the replys so far! I had no idea there were flavors...I will definately have to look for those. The one I tried was Nu Naturals and its the clear plain one...but caramel sounds great for coffee! and vanilla too! I loove sugar and have tried to find an artificial sweetner that I liked and haven't found one til now. Is it supposed to better for you than splenda or aspartame?

Per Wikipedia:

No evidence for stevia constituents causing cancer or birth defects has been found.[50][51]

Other studies have shown stevia to improve insulin sensitivity in rats,[52] and possibly even to promote additional insulin production,[53] helping to reverse diabetes and metabolic syndrome.[54]

Preliminary human studies suggest stevia can help reduce hypertension,[55] although another study has shown it to have no effect on hypertension.[56]

Indeed, millions of Japanese have been using stevia for over thirty years with no reported or known harmful effects.[57]

Similarly, stevia leaves have been used for centuries in South America, spanning multiple generations in ethnomedical tradition as a treatment for Diabetes mellitus type 2.[58]

In 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) performed a thorough evaluation of recent experimental studies of stevioside and steviols conducted on animals and humans, and concluded "stevioside and rebaudioside A are not genotoxic in vitro or in vivo and that the genotoxicity of steviol and some of its oxidative derivatives in vitro is not expressed in vivo."[59] The report also found no evidence of carcinogenic activity.