steel cut oatmeal-need help!

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
Good morning!!! I bought some steel cut oats because I have heard so many good things about it. I was looking for a recipe online and it says it has to be cooked for 40mins????? OMG Is that true?? Please help!!! Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!! I bought some steel cut oats because I have heard so many good things about it. I was looking for a recipe online and it says it has to be cooked for 40mins????? OMG Is that true?? Please help!!! Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    And a top of the morning with you. Here is a web site to go to. I soaked mine overnight method. and have enough left for 4 or 5 days. Enjoy, I do. one of my faverites
  • Robbyn
    Options
    I found a recipe that's so easy, and I make enough to last the week.
    Follow directions for oats and water amts, bring it to a boil, cover with lid, and remove from flame ,let it sit over night and next morning you have perfect steel cut oats. I then measure the oatmeal into containers and freeze! When I want oats I microwave for about 3-4mins add splenda brown sugar!!!!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Oh I forgot to give you the web site. I'm sorry here it is
    http://www.mccanns.ie/preparation.html
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I found a recipe that's so easy, and I make enough to last the week.
    Follow directions for oats and water amts, bring it to a boil, cover with lid, and remove from flame ,let it sit over night and next morning you have perfect steel cut oats. I then measure the oatmeal into containers and freeze! When I want oats I microwave for about 3-4mins add splenda brown sugar!!!!

Mine don't sit around long enought to freeze. Its great
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I cover them with water and stick them in the microwave for two minutes (assuming my oats are steel cut :huh: :laugh: -- I get the old-fashioned ones in bulk at the health food store). I've never tried soaking them or cooking them on the stove, although that would be healthier. One of these days I'd like to break myself of the microwave. I hear it changes the nutrition content of food (among other things), but it's so quick and convenient!
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can also cook them overnight in a crockpot. I've done that before, and it is really good.

Bobbie