4 cups beef broth
1 cup no sugar added Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce
1 14 oz can Red Gold petite chopped tomatoes
2/3 cup pearled barley
1.5 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of all visible fat

Dump it all in a crock pot, set to low for 8-10 hours. YUMMY!! Even my vegetable-hating husband loves this stew. Serves 6.

Nutritional Facts Per Serving (per MFP):
364 Calories
39 Carbs
5 Grams Fat (2 Saturated)
9 Grams Protein
9 Grams Fiber
6 Grams Sugar

Replies

• LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
    It definitely sounds delish - I will have to try it!
    Think I would try adding a few potatoes?!?
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Bump! This sounds man-tastic!
  • SandraMtaylor
    Options
    Sounds yummy!!! Definitely going to try it!

Thanks for the recipe!
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
    It definitely sounds delish - I will have to try it!
    Think I would try adding a few potatoes?!?

the Barley has a potatoe-y feel in your mouth and adds lots of protein. But I'm sure potatoes would be delish in here as well!
  • PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What exactly is pearled barley? And where do you find it??
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    What exactly is pearled barley? And where do you find it??

Pearled Barley is in the dried beans/rice section of my grocery store. It's barley with the hulls removed, but still very nutritious. It is smaller than white rice when dry but swells to about the size of a corn kernel when cooked.

When I put the recipe into MFP, the protein of 2/3 cup of barley *equaled* the protein of the entire 2 lb chuck roast!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks for recipe; I will use the low sodium broth (pacific). I love pearl barley, I made this week a chicken vegetable soup with pearl barley and it turned very yummy.

I would think that the protein content would be higher with the chuck and the barley, even for 6 portions. Did you check that you entered the amounts correctly? I make mistakes when I record my recipes and I need to correct them later on. Just asking...
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    Thanks for recipe; I will use the low sodium broth (pacific). I love pearl barley, I made this week a chicken vegetable soup with pearl barley and it turned very yummy.

I would think that the protein content would be higher with the chuck and the barley, even for 6 portions. Did you check that you entered the amounts correctly? I make mistakes when I record my recipes and I need to correct them later on. Just asking...

i'll definitely check if i entered it correctly.
  • DavisKarenR
    Options

MFP shows 54 grams protein for the entire recipe, and I entered it as serving 6. I double checked the barley amount and the roast amount, they both look correct. MFP showed 20 grams protein each for the barley and roast (for the entire recipe).
  • Ely82010
    Options
    Thanks, because it seems that 2lbs (32 oz) of chuck is about 160 grams of protein which = about 26 grams per portion (6), and that is without counting the barley and everything else.

Let me know please. I am always interested in dishes/recipes with a good amount of protein.
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    Thanks, because it seems that 2lbs (32 oz) of chuck is about 160 grams of protein which = about 26 grams per portion (6), and that is without counting the barley and everything else.

Let me know please. I am always interested in dishes/recipes with a good amount of protein.

I figured it out! Thanks for having me go back and check. I had added the wrong type of roast. I changed it to chuck roast shoulder, which is what i used, and the protein is now 56 grams per serving.

Thanks again!
  • Ely82010
    Options
    Yahoo! I don't need my protein smoothie if I eat the stew for dinner. Thanks a lot!