For the womenfolk, I guess...

Options
I've been using MFP since October, and haven't had a period since then. Could this be anything to do with dieting?

I don't think I've been starving myself...sticking to 1200 net cals a day for most of that time, recently raised to 1400. But this is quite a drop from what I used to eat a day, (roughly 2500 - 3000kcals) so maybe it's interfering?

Oh, and I'm definitely not pregnant :tongue:

(18/f, 5"4, 169lb)

Replies

• PussyKat
    PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP since October, and haven't had a period since then. Could this be anything to do with dieting?

I don't think I've been starving myself...sticking to 1200 net cals a day for most of that time, recently raised to 1400. But this is quite a drop from what I used to eat a day, (roughly 2500 - 3000kcals) so maybe it's interfering?

Oh, and I'm definitely not pregnant :tongue:

(18/f, 5"4, 169lb)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    No.... if you've been eating 1200 cals, you shouldn't affect your menstrual cycle.

I'd get with a doctor. It probably isn't anything serious, but irregular cycles are worth doctor's care. I'd say it's fairly common though.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Are you eatting your exercise calories?

If you are burning off say 400 calories at the gym and not eatting those calories later than your total would only be like 800 calories. Starvation can definitely effect your cycle.

Please check in with your doctor though... they can help you out whatever it is.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about it too much (stress) can cause you to skip a cycle. That happened to me about a year ago..I've never had an irregular cycle in my life other than when I was pregnant or starting the pill.

So if you know you aren't pregnant I would just relax and if you still haven't gotten it by the time your next one is due go see a doctor to see what the problem might be.
  • KBagwell
    Options
    Ive heard that stress can cause you to miss your period.....Ive also heard that most athletics don't have one because they are sooo active. Have you been working out alot??
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above. Stress can definatetly interfere with your cycle. I was really stressed out at one time and missed my cycle and the doctor checked to make sure I wasnt prego and I wasnt . I was just really stressed because my mom was sick.

Connie
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing. If I miss December's too, I'll go to the doctor. I'm not as good about eating my exercise calories as I could be. -makes note-

And if it's because I'm preggers, then gather 'round because baby Jesus is coming back.
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    well, how many periods have you missed? i know you said started in october and it's only the second week in dec, so how many have you actually missed?

i missed mine for november. i just had december's so i'm not too worrried about it because i was wayyy stressed out around the time i should have had nov's. it is common for me to miss when i'm stressed and it is common for people to not have one or have less of one when they're exercising, especially if your body wasn't used to exercising before mfp, like mine wasn't:noway: i would say that you should see a doc if you've missed more than one month to rule out all sorts of other health problems that could be the reason.:flowerforyou: good luck to ya:happy:
  • PussyKat
    PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Got it todayyy, i'm so glad, lol, this would have been the third that I'd missed. I've just started uni this autumn so maybe it was the stress of that. Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing. If I miss December's too, I'll go to the doctor. I'm not as good about eating my exercise calories as I could be. -makes note-

And if it's because I'm preggers, then gather 'round because baby Jesus is coming back.
    :laugh: :noway: :laugh:
  • slvrcavchick03
    Options
    I had a similar experiance not to long ago myself. I wasn't pregnant and I missed it. It has a lot to do with your activity level. I missed mine for 3 months, but I have recently gotten it back and it's back to it's normal cycle. I would say give it another month, if you don't have it by then, go see a doctor. Your body might just need to get used to the whole working out and what-not thing.
  • Mimiche
    Options
    I've missed mine for 4 monthes, and it all started when I dropped my calories to 1200 and upped my excersize. I went to the doctor, and my eggo is not preggo, so I figure its my eating habits. I've upped my calories to 1400 and been focusing on weight training. I've gain weight.. but still no period :noway:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I'm a little late in noticing this comment but this reminded me of a joke!!

My Sister: Hey, are you pregnant??
    Me: If I am it's the baby Jesus!
    My Sister: No... more like the anti-christ.

:grumble:

Heh.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be affecting your cycle. I've talked this over with my doctor. your cycle can be affected by eating less than usual, eating more than usual, eating different foods than usual, exercising more or less than usual and stress. If you miss a period for 3 months in a row you should see a doctor. And please if there's a possibility that you could be pregnant take a test. Otherwise no worries. I missed 2 periods in a row when I first started here and everyone told me that it wasn't possible that dieting was the cause... well it is, and it was.