Foot falling asleep during workout

Options
Tonight, I was about 10 minutes into my workout on the elliptical machine when, all of a sudden, my left foot fell asleep! It was the most awkward and uncomfortable thing. I finished the rest of my workout and once I started walking home it felt better. But, seriously? Has anybody else had this happen to them? Any suggestions on what do if it happens again?

Replies

• Cinnamonie
    Cinnamonie Posts: 138
    Options
    lol that happens to my toes on the elliptical sometimes too....only it a certain pair of sneakers tho....I just push thru or expect it in those shoes
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Your shoes might be tied too tight or your too small :) use to happen to me all the time.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Make sure you are driving with your heel, not your toe.
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    The elliptical is my fav, it happens every time I use it also did a little research and it's pretty normal with no lasting effects or damage as far as I have read. Been using the ellip for a yr now btw. the shoes i wear are pretty loose and it still happens. I do try to move my foot around a little when it happens and using your toes more does help.
  • Imsojen
    Imsojen Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time, I also researched it and it harmless most likely shoes tied to tight.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It is pretty common. Try a different machine, perhaps a different stride length. Try changing up the incline to vary your angle of attack.
    Also be conscious about shifting your weight and wiggling your toes occasionally to keep blood flowing to your foot.

Lastly try going outside and running / walking its more fun anyway :)
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. You just have to make sure you distribute your weight evenly on the pedals. And like the other poster said, drive with your heel, not your toes. :-)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm another one with elliptical problems. I've sought out numerous drs because mine were doing it when I ran too. I was diagnosed with everything from hardened arteries and told to stop running immediately or die on the course - to tarsal tunnel (like carpal tunnel in my feet).

It wasn't until I went to a massage therapist that knew what he was talking about that I found a solution. Basically, my muscle that band around my hip (not sure the name) was tight and rubbing on my sciatic nerve, making my feet go numb.

I started working on stretching, have massage therapy to loosen up and really get my hips reopened and my legs more limber. I haven't had any problems since.

It had nothing to do with shoes.
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    That happens to me when I'm working out on the elliptical too!! My little toes get too jammed into the little foot holder....try repositioning your foot and wiggling your toes once in a while!! :D
    Good Luck!