26 pounds down.. and I'm not stopping! (with pics)

So this is my first REAL post on MFP. I've been lurking, posting a few things here and there, but I really thought I'd get into the nitty gritty about me and just put out another thread about how WE ALL CAN DO THIS! :)

I'm 25, and a sophomore at university (kind of a late bloomer). I've always wanted to really work on losing weight, as I've had problems since I was about 12, but I loved food so much - I still do. I love to cook and try out new things. My weakness is Chinese food. It probably shouldn't be near me for a while. I come from a huge Italian family, where pastas are a staple in our meals, and my grandmother was a woman who grew up in the Depression, so putting food on the table was a big deal to her. As such, she hated when we threw food away, even when we were moderately full, so I learned early on how to continue to eat even after my body asked me to stop. I won't blame her completely for my weight issues, but needless to say, she didn't help. In fact, it seems the people who stayed near my grandmother longer than the others tend to be a bit heavier.

I've had issues with weight since I was 12, like I said, although being active was never an issue. I had dance classes, I was a cheerleader, I played basketball, and I had friends that would run around with me till our parents called us in for dinner. It was the portions and a love for bad foods that really caught up with me. At one point, I got so depressed about it I tried starving myself, and would fast for days at a time. I tried diet pills, but the night my heart wouldn't stop racing was the night I stopped using those - I almost went to the ER. I went to a nutritionist, but as I saw the list of things she put that I could only eat, I was discouraged.

I can't fully see myself cutting EVERYTHING out that I love to eat. This doesn't mean that tomorrow I'm going to go to Taco Bell and order my usuals, but every now and again I'd love to hit a Chinese restaurant and have some of my favs. Or maybe in a year or two I'd want to have a chalupa just to see what it tastes like again. But that nutritionist made it seem like I'd need to eat steamed veggies for the rest of my life, and I just wasn't ready to do that. Truth be told, I like my veggies sauteed slightly in a pan with some garlic and extra virgin olive oil. I love a bit of a crunch with my veggies. I also never had anything against healthy food; I love fruits and veggies and everything like that under the sun, but anything can become bad when you eat a pound of it.

This kind of thing yo-yoed with me as I slowly gained 80 pounds over the course of four years. I went from 200 to 280 while dating a guy who was so skinny, but could eat 3 cheeseburgers from BK in one sitting. I ended up falling into a trap worse than I'd ever dealt with. Then, I met the man I am dating now. He's a big guy, mainly from his broad shoulders and thick frame, but he ate a lot healthier than my ex.. and then he met me. We ate a lot more fast food simply for convenience. I tell you, I could polish off a full pizza (thin crust, with pepperoni, onions, and bacon) or go to Taco Bell and eat two tacos, a mexican pizza, two chalupas, a nachos bell grande, and a crunch wrap supreme. I mean, I don't know how I packed it away like I did, but I went nuts. Until June of this year.

My boyfriend, who'd been lethargic for a week, was rushed to the ER with shortness of breath, and incoherent babbling. The nurses thought he was mentally retarded. Turns out.. he was suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis that had started from an abscess on his inner thigh. We assumed it was just a boil. It probably started out as one, but his abscess, plus his high high blood sugar (762!) was causing him to become septic. His veins were shot, and he wasn't reacting to the insulin and saline they were giving him. A nurse caught the abscess and knew what was going on. His infection was going to kill him. He was rushed to surgery, with 4 other surgeons on standby to be ready in case the infection had spread to other organs. We were told had it been found even 30 minutes later.. he might not be alive. I shudder to think about it. His diabetic shock, in fact, saved him.

A week later, he was out of the hospital, but his life - and mine - had been changed. He was to begin his blood sugar medicine, and to begin monitoring his levels three times a day. His diet had to change. He had a wound care nurse come by to re-dress his open wound caused by the surgery. This was a wake-up call to him, his friends (who realized their friend of 20 years had not been put into the hospital by some reckless driving, but because of health reasons), and me. I am not at risk for diabetes (my blood sugar is around the 90s - I checked) but I am overweight. Before I worked exclusively with this website, I was 286 pounds. I am now down to 260. My boyfriend is down to 257 from an estimated 300 pounds (he never weighed himself). We eat three healthy meals a day, we exercise when we can - although he is really restricted till his wound heals, but after two months, it's looking awesome! - and we motivate each other. The one thing I remember him telling me is whenever I want to eat something horrible, and go all out at <insert fast food place here> he says, "Gee, that sounds like $70,000 in hospital bills to me." While that may seem harsh, it's all I need to remind me I never want to put him in the position I was in watching him just two months ago in the ICU.

I feel better getting my story out, and I hope that anyone just coming to this website can read this and know that it CAN be done, and it SHOULD be done. We know how to do it, and we know it's hard, but if we keep pushing, we can achieve our goals. There are people here who have lost so much more weight than I have at this point, and I'm proud of them all, despite the fact that I don't know them. Changing a lifestyle is so difficult, but having your life changed for the better is its reward. I hope we all can have our goals met in a healthy, and happy way.

And here are my pictures - both from the back view. The first was taken June 27th, 2011 at 286 pounds. The second was taken August 10th, when I was about 265 pounds.

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb330/xneurocentric/Weight Loss Pictures/June27Pic2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb330/xneurocentric/Weight Loss Pictures/August10.jpg[/img]

Replies

• BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Wow! What a story - that's a huge difference in your picyures - well done!
  • I can see the difference... big change! good for you for making that lifestyle change!!!
  • xneurocentric
    xneurocentric Posts: 44 Member
    Thank you guys, that means a lot to me! I'm so glad it's noticeable to others as well! My clothes do fit slightly different, but this is still the beginning. I'm still extremely happy, though, to keep pushing through! :) Good luck to you guys as well!!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    My husband never got that bad but finding out his blood sugar was over 300 was our wake up call. Then I was put on oxygen. Your story brought tears to my eyes because your boyfriend could have been my husband if we didn't find out when we did. His blood sugar is now under 120 and he has lost 60lbs.

You guys can do this! Just keep supporting and motivating each other!! :flowerforyou: I can see a big difference in you already!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Your story reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend once. She weighed about 400-425 when I leveled with her and told her that I loved being her friend and that I did not want to see her die from being overweight. (She scared me the week I visited her. She had always had an issue with her weight and it got out of control.) After I spoke with her, she did determine to lose the weight, and dropped quite a bit of it. I am so proud of her! I love my friend, and would not want the world to lose her.

So, with that said, I hope that it will encourage you to hear it. And, do know, that no matter your weight, you can eat much healthier and even still enjoy the things you love, in moderation. You can lose enough weight to be healthy and vibrant, to feel good and to move well. It may take some time, but every step is a milestone of celebration.

Best wishes to you and your guy.
  • xneurocentric
    My husband never got that bad but finding out his blood sugar was over 300 was our wake up call. Then I was put on oxygen. Your story brought tears to my eyes because your boyfriend could have been my husband if we didn't find out when we did. His blood sugar is now under 120 and he has lost 60lbs.

You guys can do this! Just keep supporting and motivating each other!! :flowerforyou: I can see a big difference in you already!

I am so sorry that you and your hubby experienced that. It truly is a scary experience! I'm so happy for both of you that you've lost the weight you have. It's a wonderful feeling to keep working at it. My boyfriend's sugar stays around that level, sometimes it dips, but has never gone over 135 since he's left the hospital, and the 135 is a rarity - I've seen it happen only when the hospital bills come! :)
  • xneurocentric
    Your story reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend once. She weighed about 400-425 when I leveled with her and told her that I loved being her friend and that I did not want to see her die from being overweight. (She scared me the week I visited her. She had always had an issue with her weight and it got out of control.) After I spoke with her, she did determine to lose the weight, and dropped quite a bit of it. I am so proud of her! I love my friend, and would not want the world to lose her.

So, with that said, I hope that it will encourage you to hear it. And, do know, that no matter your weight, you can eat much healthier and even still enjoy the things you love, in moderation. You can lose enough weight to be healthy and vibrant, to feel good and to move well. It may take some time, but every step is a milestone of celebration.

Best wishes to you and your guy.

Thank you for sharing your story about your friend. It goes without saying that support from loved ones is always wanted and needed when trying to lose weight, especially when it becomes a necessity. And keep up your own good work! You're doing awesome!
  • stinehur
    stinehur Posts: 8 Member
    Great job! :) Keep up all of the hard work! We all know losing weight is no easy task :(
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Great job! Keep up the good work!
  • lynnmarsh52
    lynnmarsh52 Posts: 116 Member
    Excuse my french - but, BLOODY HELL!!! That is fantastic - what a difference!!! You must be so proud of yourself and what you've achieved so far! Keep up the good work - well done! :flowerforyou:
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Congratulations!!!! your story was very touching, you should be really proud that you have taken the strength and courage to enter this amazing journey....I can't wait to see more updates!!!
  • Wow, what a story. You look fabulous!
  • xneurocentric
    Thank you to everyone who's read and responded. We're both working really hard to make sure that we keep up with our progress.. and I can't wait to be able to buy different clothes! I'm a bit of a shopaholic, hehe. Thanks again, everyone!
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    good job keep it up don't stop!!!!!
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! You should be sooo proud of yourself for losing 27lbs...its hard work!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Thank you for sharing!! You're doing great!
  • Wow, I am so glad that your significant other is on the road to recovery.
    You are such and inspiration and I admire your courage and strength to share your story to everyone on MFP.

Congratulatoins on your success and thank you for sharing.
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    What a great story!! I can definitely see the difference in the two pictures!!
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    So proud of u.....Wonderful attitude......
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Oh my gosh, what a difference and what a background story. I can already see that you're going to have an awesome hip to waist ratio. Way to go and keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!