Calling all seniors

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
Hey , I am a 78 year old happy youthful senior to have found this site. Would like to chat and be friends to some other youthful senior. Are there anymore of you out there? We have our weight problems too!. I just register last week and so far has not ran across anymore seniors.

Replies

• CALIECAT
    Options
    Hey , I am a 78 year old happy youthful senior to have found this site. Would like to chat and be friends to some other youthful senior. Are there anymore of you out there? We have our weight problems too!. I just register last week and so far has not ran across anymore seniors.
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi, there. I'm 52 not a senior yet but getting there. It seems when I hit 50 I couldn't lose the weight like I used to. How about you?
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    You are so right. But you know my Doctors keep telling me to cut down. Now I can see it all adds up that I ate too much till I started charting every bite of my food. What a wake up call.
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi caliecat and welcome :flowerforyou: . I am not of as many years as yourself sometimes I wake up feeling a century.......but don't wake him up hahaha JUST KIDDING blushing:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I think we are all friends and chat seeing as we are in the same boat here on MFP.:laugh:
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    I suppose I am a senior! 55 years old. It is a little harder to lose weight now but I have managed to lose 63 pounds to date since last March/April. The key for me has been changing the life style. Exercise with diet and a positive outlook will accomplish much. Do not try to force weight loss just do the right things and it will happen.

I have also found that I am more prone to injury. Stay in touch with your Doctor if you are really serious about weigh loss/fitness. When I was really getting into the fitness part of my weight loss I did too many repetitive exercises and programs. I feel that it caused the ankle and shoulder injuries that I have now recovered from. I am currently doing the P90X program from Tony Horton and Beach Body. I feel great and love doing it. But it is definately not a beginning workout program. It is a great program that really mixes the routine up.

Everyone hang in there it can be done! It just may take "us" a little longer!

Jeffrey
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I suppose I am a senior! 55 years old. It is a little harder to lose weight now but I have managed to lose 63 pounds to date since last March/April. The key for me has been changing the life style. Exercise with diet and a positive outlook will accomplish much. Do not try to force weight loss just do the right things and it will happen.

I have also found that I am more prone to injury. Stay in touch with your Doctor if you are really serious about weigh loss/fitness. When I was really getting into the fitness part of my weight loss I did too many repetitive exercises and programs. I feel that it caused the ankle and shoulder injuries that I have now recovered from. I am currently doing the P90X program from Tony Horton and Beach Body. I feel great and love doing it. But it is definately not a beginning workout program. It is a great program that really mixes the routine up.

Jeffrey
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Jeffrey, What a wonderful story. This has really help you You haven't got far to go. I have a son who need to chart his food. He lives in St.Louis will send him this site and see what he thinks.about charting his food. He is about your age. A copuple years older. Thanks
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Not a problem Cali! Glad it helped a little. Stay in touch! Good luck with your goals.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi Calie, it is neat to meet others in our own age-group. I am 56 the 28th of this month and my workout buddy as well as best friend and neighbor is 61. I would love to get to know you even though we aren't the same age. I think you will love this site. I have learned sooooooooooo much here and am undoing some real "lies" I bought into about weightloss, fitness and nutrition:) I keep seeing that commercial on tv about the 80 year old gal that is a fantastic waterskier among other things Im sure:) I am starting to see for myself, that I can take off years as well as weight. From the bottom of my heart, I feel 10 years younger, heck, maybe younger! I wasn't looking for the fountain of youth but if fitness and nutrition(proper)is it well halleleujah!!!!!! There is always someone here to encourage, share as well as someone that might need our encouragement;) This is my fave site:) Write me anytime and welcome!!!!!!!!! denise in Oregon:):bigsmile:

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    I also wanted to thank you for sharing. Im 56 this month and all you said was right on for me as well. Especially where you said "do not try to force weight loss, just do the right things and it will happen":)

a fitness pal, denise:bigsmile:

Jeffrey
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    we are after the same goal:) and close to same age:) Glad you are here and see your around the forums:) a fitness pal, denise:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Hi, there. I'm 52 not a senior yet but getting there. It seems when I hit 50 I couldn't lose the weight like I used to. How about you?
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Thanks Denise! Very nice of you all to comment. If it will help anyone I can share my diet with them. You'll probably look at it and go "poor guy"! LOL I am currently on a 2 pound per week weight loss schedule. Last week I exceeded it, but I am waiting to post until I know if it was water loss or not. I watch my calorie intake vs my calorie burn from work outs. I try to burn a minimum of 800 calories per day from working out on top of my BMR. I am currently on a schedule of about 1400 calories per day on my intake. It is low but it can be done. I have not had any bad side effects from this program yet. I make sure that I get a few carbs along with ample protein. My issue is with milk. I love skim milk and I usually have 16 to 24 ounces per meal. Things that cause me trouble are breads, and cookies. I just have to stay away from them. Another thing that I do is that before every meal I eat an apple about 20 minutes before. It really takes the edge off and is good for fiber, and has minimal calories.

But the worst thing is................ ICE CREAM! I really miss ICE CREAM! I used to love how it came in the 2 serving size! You know the 1/2 gallon container? When I hit all my goals I am going to have a scoop of butter pecan!

Have a great day everyone!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Jeffery for sharing you plan here. It looked like the seniors needed a place to share. Lets try to keep it up Enjoy each and everyone of you. Grandma will be checking in here everyday to keep an eye on you guys. So far I am the oldest/ So I am grandma till someone top me

Icecream is one of my weakness too. Yogurt has been a big help. so far one carton satisfy me. where 1/2 c of icecream is just not enough. I have my first WI Wed. This is just my first week
    And how is you little girl doing. What is her name?
    GRANDMA
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Does feeling as old as the hills count?:laugh:

Hi and welcome to all "seniors". I wish my Grandma could have seen this site, maybe she would have lived a healthier lifestyle and she'd be here today.:frown:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    You got that right, this is a beautiful site. Sorry about your grandmother. My daughter [ gemfrire ] post here together we are going to beat this huddle And with all the surport we get here. Thanks GTO judge
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Good Evening! I just finished my plyometric work out (jump training). I am in the bag! I have had a good day I am still negative 1271 calories after my stir fry supper! I hope that you all have had a good day too! It is great having you all here!

Keep after it!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Thanks Denise! Very nice of you all to comment. If it will help anyone I can share my diet with them. You'll probably look at it and go "poor guy"! LOL I am currently on a 2 pound per week weight loss schedule. Last week I exceeded it, but I am waiting to post until I know if it was water loss or not. I watch my calorie intake vs my calorie burn from work outs. I try to burn a minimum of 800 calories per day from working out on top of my BMR. I am currently on a schedule of about 1400 calories per day on my intake. It is low but it can be done. I have not had any bad side effects from this program yet. I make sure that I get a few carbs along with ample protein. My issue is with milk. I love skim milk and I usually have 16 to 24 ounces per meal. Things that cause me trouble are breads, and cookies. I just have to stay away from them. Another thing that I do is that before every meal I eat an apple about 20 minutes before. It really takes the edge off and is good for fiber, and has minimal calories.

But the worst thing is................ ICE CREAM! I really miss ICE CREAM! I used to love how it came in the 2 serving size! You know the 1/2 gallon container? When I hit all my goals I am going to have a scoop of butter pecan!

Have a great day everyone!
    Oh but it does come in 2 serving container.... low fat in butter pecan even!! Shoot...can't recall the brand but it's a plastic container with a blue bottom and a white lid in with the other small size icecream selections. Might want to check it out if you're looking to. :bigsmile:

Sorry just jumped in here to say hello to all! ahh and to share with J about his icecream:blushing: :bigsmile:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    GOSH jEFFERY YOU CAN HAVE MORE CALORIES FOR SUPPER THAN I GET ALL DAY. BUT YOU EXERCISE ENOUGH YOU CAN JUST ABOUT EAT ANY THING YOU WANT. BUT IT TAKES WILL POWER TO KEEP IT UP. HATS OFF TO YOU. YOU GOT A GREAT THING GOING WHEN WILL WE SEE A PICTURE OF YOU? RIGHT GIRLS WE WANT TO SEE WHAT ALL THAT EXERCISE HAS DONE TO J.
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Cali,
    I promise to post pictures when I hit my goal. I am getting close! I started at a bmi over 30. I am now at about 23 I think. I started at 272#, tonight after the work out I was at 208. I really watch my percent of body fat now as a key indicator. I started at around 35%, I am now at about 17% maybe 15%. My goal is to get to 10 to 12%, even lower would be great. Here a couple of other things that the workouts and diet have done for me: My blood pressure was 170/120 now it is at 110/70 resting heart rate is about 52 high 40's n a good day. My total chloresteral was at 197 now it is 94 (my ldl is 54 Dr says that I almost have it too low). the change in my life style is probably going to add years to my life. I feel great too, hungry sometime but great!

Talk to you all tomorrow! Pictures soon!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Fitness Chick ---- You have came a long way. So proud of you. and you are welcome after all you are all going to be senior citizen sooner or later/ We just beat you to it. What has been your biggest struggle in your weight lost? Marie