when switching workout programs do you rest?

Options
I started with 30 day Shred in May-April, then moved to Ripped in 30 which I did in 5 weeks. For the last 2 months, I have been doing a combination of Insanity (3-4 days a week) and strength training 3 or 4 days a week. I take one rest day a week for the most part, sometimes 2. I have not had a rest week yet, as I did not do the recovery week in Insanity. Some people have suggested that if I give my body a rest for a week, I may see my weight loss start again. I have been in a plateau for about 4 weeks now. When I first started working out, I was burning about 225 calories a day, and now Im up an average of 400 a day. My diary is open...I just upped my calories to 1600 a day. Any thoughts? Its hard for me to not work out...I dont feel good mentally but I guess I could do yoga or walk or something? I welcome any advice and any workout friends! Thanks!

Replies

• zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bump
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I am just entering my fourth week of my plan and so I would be interested to know the answer. I know rest days work but not sure about a rest week.

Can't see me doing it though to be honest. I'll just switch plans for a week perhaps!
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You should give your body a rest, you could be overworking it, even though you don't feel like you are.
    You don't build muscle or burn fat whilst exercising, it actually happens whilst you're resting.

Also, I see you only have a few more pounds to lose. Try setting yourself to lose 0.5lb a week, it might help :)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but i do recall reading in New Rules of Lifting for Woman and I think also in Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle, that if you are strength training, it is good every few months to take a rest week between your switch ups.