exercise

Options
Is an eliptical machine equivalent to running?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, I think running will burn more calories, but the eliptical give more of a whole body workout.
  • Vika_Philly_USA
    Options
    No. Running machine will not burn more calories. Eliptical burns more calories
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    running also translates to "real world" athleticism, as you can incorporate the moments in 100's of activities, whereas the movement on the elliptical does not translate into real world movements as your body does not move that way unless you are on an elliptical. So elliptical is good for cross training or for a calorie burn, but will not improve your non-elliptical everyday moments nearly as much as running will.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This depends on speed, and resistance setting. And Don't beleive what the machine or MFP shows, you would need a HRM to see which one you burn more on. I burn more on the treadmill as I usually run at a pace higher than 8.0MPH.
  • Annieminnesota
    Annieminnesota Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me, running burns more calories. However, the elliptical is easier on your joints and I can go further.
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    But why run on a machine when you can get outside for free?
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

I don't see how that is possible. Unless you have a high resistance set and whether you are doing a vigorous effort on the elliptical machine, there is not way you can compare the impact running has compared to the elliptical.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Hmm, I have no idea what a "running machine" is, but when I ran (outside mostly) I burned more calories per minute than when I did the eliptical.