Work out at a gym?

Options
Do you? If you do, do you wipe down the machines after you are done using them?
If you don't.... would you please start! Its gross.... ever heard of MRSA?? Ya.... I don't want that... SO I have to take the extra time cleaning before I get on the machine.. then I so graciously wipe off the machine for the next person to use.
I belong to an upscale gym, what peeves me THE MOST is the PERSONAL TRAINERS NOT WIPING DOWN MACHINES :noway: ... and not making their clients wipe them down either. Ummm hello?? The personal trainers are supposed to be setting examples for the rest of the members of the club are they not?
It also peeves me when the trainers are the ones who don't comply with the dress codes either... which are means for termination of membership for regular members. WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WEAR OPEN TOED SANDALS IN A WEIGHT ROOM!?!?!?!:noway: :noway: :noway: Are you asking for a broken foot? I'm sorry I don't want to be the one nurse in the room when your client drops a weight on your foot and its bleeding everywhere!!!

UGHHHH!!

So, in conclusion to my rant.... wear your damn tennis shoes in the gym and wipe down your machines please!! :bigsmile: Thank you ever so kindly :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    don't rant just think of all those extra calories you are burning of cleaning the machine lol
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why none of the male lifters seem to ever wipe down... I mean I guess if you are rotating machines it gets old. I've had MRSA twice and look like I was shot in my left leg because of it. Wiping down is pretty important.
  • mtkautz
    mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    True, BUT My 3 second wipe-down before I jump on is not going to kill whatever has been on there for god-knows how long. Gyms are breeding grounds for MRSA... I dont like worrying about what I could contract while I'm trying to improve my health. Next thing you know I'm going to be "the weird nurse chick wearing rubber gloves in the gym" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Eunified
    Eunified Posts: 51
    Options
    Ugh pet peeve of mine! It seriously grosses me out when I see someone in front of me sweating like crazy and they just walk right off their machine out to the door! GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:noway:
  • mtkautz
    Options
    I'm not sure why none of the male lifters seem to ever wipe down... I mean I guess if you are rotating machines it gets old. I've had MRSA twice and look like I was shot in my left leg because of it. Wiping down is pretty important.

My uncle lost his leg due to MRSA... I don't think people understand how serious it is! Think I should put up some pictures of MRSA on the machines?? That might motivate some people to clean them?
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    question: when I use hand weights, barbells, lat pulldown, row handles, anything just my hand touches should I wipe them? Or wash my hands before using them? Usually I just wipe the handles and seats of ellipticals and bikes but not the weights.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    question: when I use hand weights, barbells, lat pulldown, row handles, anything just my hand touches should I wipe them? Or wash my hands before using them? Usually I just wipe the handles and seats of ellipticals and bikes but not the weights.

I was going to ask the exact same question. I've never seen anyone wipe down the weights or the pull-up bar, so I don't either. I just make sure to wash my hands after I'm done using them.
  • mtkautz
    Options

WIPE EVERYTHING. You don't know who last used them... Or what was on their hands. Plus barbells can tear your hands up... leaving microscopic cuts- perfect entry wound for bacteria... and other... things. I'm going to take my lifting gloves now as an extra precaution.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    To add to that, I wipe down my cardio machines before and after, no matter what. Even if they did wipe it down, I don't trust that they did it to my liking. I even wipe down the bottom of the treadmill and the floor of the spin bike because I am a sweaty betty!!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Ugh pet peeve of mine! It seriously grosses me out when I see someone in front of me sweating like crazy and they just walk right off their machine out to the door! GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:noway:

Me too, that is just nasty.

As far as being part of an "upscale" gym, maybe those people don't feel that it is their job to wipe down the machines. Not sure, but that could be the case. Either way, you are right, it is very important to wipe the machines down...people constantly workout when they are sick with colds and what not. I actually carry with me those Clorox wipes and use those on machines.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It's disgusting in the gyms! That is why I am happy to be fortunate enough to have a bike and elliptical of my own plus bosu ball and my own hand weights.
  • mtkautz
    Options
    If I'm going to touch it, with any part of my body, I wipe it down. After I have touched it, I wipe it down again. Simple as that! I don't understand what is so hard about it!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    It's disgusting in the gyms! That is why I am happy to be fortunate enough to have a bike and elliptical of my own plus bosu ball and my own hand weights.
    yeah, I'd say that's really the best way to go for those of us who are super squeamish :laugh:
  • dma1988e
    dma1988e Posts: 11
    Options
    As someone who is not a "nursing chick" maybe someone should be more specific about why we are asked to wipe down the machines. I do it, but not before I start, just after. I've never heard of MRSA...but will be carrying my anit-bacterial wipes from this day forward now that I googled it. Gross.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The gym I used to attend always made sure people wiped down the equipment haha. Each little section would have 10 spray bottles and paper towels with a huge sign saying 'PLEASE CLEAN MACHINES AFTER USE'. And they'd have 3 members of staff patroling the area. I accidentily left a bike because I was going to fill my water up and a member of staff was like 'Can you please go clean that bike you used?' haha
  • mtkautz
    Options
    I go at 5 am, when there are only like 2 personal trainers around (setting a horrible example) and the older 'towel lady' who hands out towels and makes sure people's ID cards are their own. I would hope that later in the day, when it's busier... more employees would enforce cleaning the machines... but I am afraid that that is probably not the case.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It disgusts me when I see someone at the gym just get off a machine and walk away. I clean before and after I use them, better to be safe than end up with an infection/cold etc.

OP - Have you brought this up to your gym management. If you are paying to go to the gym you have the right to ask that the rules be followed especially by the trainers.

An anonymous note or phone call if you don't want to be identified might help.

I know at my gym the front desk staff does not know what goes on in the rest of the gym.
  • mtkautz
    Options
    http://www.ronjones.org/Handouts/MRSA.pdf

http://www.ronjones.org/Handouts/MRSATips.pdf

Read and pass along. I realize not everyone knows what MRSA is. But do yourself... and everyone around you a favor and educate yourself about it!! It's extremely serious.
  • mtkautz
    Options
    It disgusts me when I see someone at the gym just get off a machine and walk away. I clean before and after I use them, better to be safe than end up with an infection/cold etc.

OP - Have you brought this up to your gym management. If you are paying to go to the gym you have the right to ask that the rules be followed especially by the trainers.

An anonymous note or phone call if you don't want to be identified might help.

I know at my gym the front desk staff does not know what goes on in the rest of the gym.

YES I emailed them right when I got home yesterday. the two trainers that are there in the morning... I have NEVER seen them clean a piece of equipment EVER. Still doing the same *kitten* today, but I'll see if something is changed tomorrow... if not I'll email him again and suggest some education about MRSA... :)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    this bothers me too! i always wipe down and i also carry sanitizer with me into the gym floor! my gym provides it, but mine smells better :)